Clownfish - favorite copepod species?

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this isn't the best place for this, move if needed!

I've taken to watching my clowns hunt copepods off the glass at night and I noticed they seem very particular. At first I thought the obvious difference would be size but even if there's several same sized pods near each other they seem to pointedly go towards certain ones.

It's more of curiosity than anything but has anyone done any work to determine what species of copepods they may be most drawn to?

My clowns are black storms if it makes a difference. Long removed from the ocean!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you will find an answer for that. We can only buy 4 or different kind of pods, but there are thousands of species of pods, any one of them could have hitchhiked into your tank.

In my opinion, based on a the few species that we can buy, I would guess tisbe and/or apocyclops, they are 2 of the smallest kinds. But I'm just guessing.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't care which species they are Copepods ,Amps they eat them all . Highly doubt they can tell the difference between the 10 or so commercially available copepods

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing my Clownfish Choke down a piece of Silverside’s that was for my RBT. Then having to lay on the bottom, for 24 hours, I doubt they are picky about anything. Then there was the time it took a chunk out of my hand.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back