Clownfish fighting.. but teared up fin.

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so I picked up my clownfish two days ago and they were sold as a pair. However today I noticed that they were totally going at it and the smaller one has some tears on his (pectoral?) fins from bites- which only showed up within the past day :(

1. What should I do? Do I intervene or let them be? 2. How long should I let this go on? 3. Do you think this is because I put them in a smaller tank than what they were held in in the fish store? Any advice is much appreciated!

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering if his fins will heal? I feel bad for the little guy :(

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 4 pairs of clowns and would say that this is normal behaviour and to leave them be.

It will go on until they decide which one is the dominant one, but they will figure it out. In my experience it's usually a few days or a couple of weeks.

After that they should settle down, but just like humans, they'll have their "fights" or "days" haha

Keep feeding them lots with good food and his fins will recover!

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 4 pairs of clowns and would say that this is normal behaviour and to leave them be.

It will go on until they decide which one is the dominant one, but they will figure it out. In my experience it's usually a few days or a couple of weeks.

After that they should settle down, but just like humans, they'll have their "fights" or "days" haha

Keep feeding them lots with good food and his fins will recover!
They better get “over it” quick LOL. I’m just really concerned!

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you bot mature clowns and not juveniles. Clowns are a type of damsel and love to fight. If you had gotten smaller clowns they would have been more peaceful, but don't worry. One will assert the dominance and become the female and the other will fall inline. Can't promise his tail will heal though.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the shaking is a sign someone is trying to make claim to being the female. You can shorten the light period as someone mentioned. Giving ample hiding places helps, pvc. It might work itself out over a couple days, can get pretty brutal tho and separating them might be necessary

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the shaking is a sign someone is trying to make claim to being the female. You can shorten the light period as someone mentioned. Giving ample hiding places helps, pvc. It might work itself out over a couple days, can get pretty brutal tho and separating them might be necessary
Ok I will keep monitoring. I just don't want things to get so bad that the small one is maimed.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will keep monitoring. I just don't want things to get so bad that the small one is maimed.
I actually just lost a 2 month battle trying to add 2 new clowns to a tank with an existing “pair”. Well, the female left her partner after a strange 3 way affair for a month and beat the hell out of the poor bachelor. I had him in and out of an isobox, things were good and then they were NOT. Your case is much different, they should adjust to their new environment and stop pushing each other’s buttons

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just lost a 2 month battle trying to add 2 new clowns to a tank with an existing “pair”. Well, the female left her partner after a strange 3 way affair for a month and beat the hell out of the poor bachelor. I had him in and out of an isobox, things were good and then they were NOT. Your case is much different, they should adjust to their new environment and stop pushing each other’s buttons
What a soap opera! Sorry about that happening- that's so dramatic! I hope they get things settled soon as well.

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two maroon clownfish. I know they aren't mature yet but they aren’t tiny either. Maybe 2 inches? They weren’t in the same container at the store but the person working there seemed pretty knowledgeable and thought they’d pair up.
They have been really going at it since I acclimated them to the water. They both have multiple ripped fins. In the end, the “weaker” one was hiding up in the corner at the top of the water line. I now have the aggressor in a floating plastic breeding box in the tank. I was planning to leave them that way overnight.
I have them in a 20g quarantine tank with a couple royal grammas I bought today as well. I’ve got another qt tank I can set up. Do I need to separate them?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back