Clownfish fighting what shuld i do?

Kristijan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 same size clownfish 1 weeks ago they both went in my Anemone and 1 is hosting it and that one is chasing and betting the other clownfish when i put food they fight they fight all day what shuld i do??

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 same size clownfish 1 weeks ago they both went in my Anemone and 1 is hosting it and that one is chasing and betting the other clownfish when i put food they fight they fight all day what shuld i do??
How big are they approximately?

If they are pretty big, could be two females fighting and it will not subside.

If they are small enough to be males and fighting over dominancy then it could keep going until one completely asserts dominance over the other. Though that could also end up in a death. You could get a breeder box or similar to help split them and let them determine their hierarchy more safely. Though it is not guaranteed that once let out of the box, the submissive one would be fine.

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clown fish are mean. If the aggressor is beating up the other until he is corner and just won't come out then the best to keep him alive is to give it back to the store. Your chance of keeping two clownfish in your tank is down to zero... Unless you start a new for an actual pair... Not just put two together and expect them to pair... You can go to the LFS and observe the two that are always swim together then that would be your good chance that they can pair up when you put them in your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Separate them before it results in death. The female (larger one) is generally the aggressor. Acclimation box is best and i would give the aggressor a time out, not the one getting beat up
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go. This will go on until the male submits or is killed by the female.

OP
OP
Kristijan

Kristijan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they approximately?

If they are pretty big, could be two females fighting and it will not subside.

If they are small enough to be males and fighting over dominancy then it could keep going until one completely asserts dominance over the other. Though that could also end up in a death. You could get a breeder box or similar to help split them and let them determine their hierarchy more safely. Though it is not guaranteed that once let out of the box, the submissive one would be fine.
They are around 2.5 cm

OP
OP
Kristijan

Kristijan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate them before it results in death. The female (larger one) is generally the aggressor. Acclimation box is best and i would give the aggressor a time out, not the one getting beat up
Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
Often, the female will barely let the male eat and sometimes will almost control where in the tank the male is allowed to go. This will go on until the male submits or is killed by the female.
If one clownfish kills another one that would be devastating where i live it's pretty hard to find saltwater fish right now they are 2.5cm same size i think they are both males they are pretty small

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Separating them as mentioned is safest bet

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just gave up trying to catch the bully i was trying for 2 hours i can't catch them
Do a water change. Get the water level low enough to limit the area it can escape. Use something to block the area further if necessary

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link how to make a bottle trap

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long to keep the bully in a breeder box?
Until they stop hatimg each other. The box will be clear so they still interact. Once you don't see aggression anymore give it another try.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back