Clownfish harem

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the BRS Clownfish harem tank and it is AWESOME! I was wandering if it was possible in a 75 gallon tank w lots of anemones.
Is 20 Clownfish from the same clutch a good amount?
What is the best LED lighting for the Anemones?
What are your experiences with this kind of tank?
All advice is appreciated

In advance Thanks.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear Pink Skunk Clowns are a good choice for a harem tank; maybe about 15 in a 75-gallon. Perhaps you can research it/find a video. :cool:

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris, I have AI Hydra 26HDs and my anemones grow and split like crazy. I don't feed them, they just catch food from the water column. I have California Rainbow BTAs.

OP
OP
C

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank & how many AI Hydra 26HDs do you have and on what setting?

OP
OP
C

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix black Ocellaris with gold stripe Maroon clownfish?
And will 2-3 Kessil 360X be enough? Or will 3-4 Kessil 160s be enough?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend mixing those varieties. The maroons are very dominating and would take over. I had luck mixing clarkii with pink skunk. But a true harem of the same type of breed is better. I never kept a harem of fish though as I prefer fewer fish.

You could do a full nem tank and mix different nem species. Just stay on top of nutrient control and you’ll be successful. There are lots of tanks out there that have done this.

No experience with those lights as I use the cheaply ones.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping on as this is something I have wanted to do with my 75 gallons as well. A couple of things I have learned through reading different threads and watching videos is;

-The people with the most success use clowns from the same clutch who look as similar as possible. One video I watch equates them to mean girls in high school. Anyone who looks different is ousted. This may not always be the case, but it seems to be a continuing theme with people who have attempted this.

-Pick an anemone that is a natural host for the type of clownfish you want. Here is a pretty complete list that I found some time back

-Feeding time is essential. I think the BRS video talks about feeding often to help reduce competition for food. I've reading going a step farther and feeding often at two points in the tank. One thread I read had two auto feeders on either side of the tank feed together. This was a larger tank (six feet), so maybe it was more critical for them, and on a 75 gallon wouldn't make much difference.

I hope other give their advice and experience as well.

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown harem tank with 20 Orange Skunk clowns in it. They all went in together and I have seen zero aggression. I do have a ton of homes for them. About 20 BTA's and two haddoni carpets in there. Its a WB Peninsula, 60 gallon display 20 sump. 2 Kessil 360x with narrow beam reflectors on it. More than enough to support it.

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was about a month ago

Attachments

• C64F9D94-7BA2-406F-A40B-338CF577BF8E.jpeg
    C64F9D94-7BA2-406F-A40B-338CF577BF8E.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 106

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back