OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Images from today under white light, also they are not visible in the image but in real life if you look at the worse eye it almost looks like there’s blood or red spots in it :(

Attachments

• 805DB2C0-BF7F-4F5C-BD5A-AA984530E929.jpeg
    805DB2C0-BF7F-4F5C-BD5A-AA984530E929.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 53DE1EB6-0A0D-4E3C-A99D-BFDACEDDD5BA.jpeg
    53DE1EB6-0A0D-4E3C-A99D-BFDACEDDD5BA.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Images from today under white light, also they are not visible in the image but in real life if you look at the worse eye it almost looks like there’s blood or red spots in it :(

Is there some whiteness to the top of the tail fin? It looks like that in the picture. That would mean the disease is "systemic" in other words, involving most of the fish's body. We were focused on the eyes, but if there is a more widespread infection, it could be Brooklynella. Brook won't show well on the white portions of the fish, do you see any mucus on the fish's body?

Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some whiteness to the top of the tail fin? It looks like that in the picture. That would mean the disease is "systemic" in other words, involving most of the fish's body. We were focused on the eyes, but if there is a more widespread infection, it could be Brooklynella. Brook won't show well on the white portions of the fish, do you see any mucus on the fish's body?

Jay
Don’t see any mucus, there’s definitely white around the tail end but I’m pretty sure it’s just her coloring. Also if it was brook wouldn’t the copper be treating it? Thank you so much by the way.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t see any mucus, there’s definitely white around the tail end but I’m pretty sure it’s just her coloring. Also if it was brook wouldn’t the copper be treating it? Thank you so much by the way.

The major drawback of copper is that it does not treat Brook....but if you aren't seeing mucus sheets coming off the fish, I don't think it is Brook.

As for the eyes - tough call. Without doing a sensitivity study, there is no way to know if a given antibiotic will work or not, we just go with ones that have a good track record in similar cases. It could be this one isn't going to respond to Erythromycin. However, jumping from one antibiotic to another is often a mistake, they take 5 to 7 days to work. At this point, I would continue the Erythromycin, but consider adding a second antibiotic like perhaps Maracyn 2 or Neomycin.

Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major drawback of copper is that it does not treat Brook....but if you aren't seeing mucus sheets coming off the fish, I don't think it is Brook.

As for the eyes - tough call. Without doing a sensitivity study, there is no way to know if a given antibiotic will work or not, we just go with ones that have a good track record in similar cases. It could be this one isn't going to respond to Erythromycin. However, jumping from one antibiotic to another is often a mistake, they take 5 to 7 days to work. At this point, I would continue the Erythromycin, but consider adding a second antibiotic like perhaps Maracyn 2 or Neomycin.

Jay
Okay just asked my LFS if they have Maracyn 2 over Facebook since they’re closed today, hopefully they will get back to me soon. It’s hard to get here in Canada as you’re actually not supposed to be able to buy it in Canada. I went to another fish store today that isn’t my usual one and they recommended metroplex, any thoughts on that? He told me a place where I could get it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay just asked my LFS if they have Maracyn 2 over Facebook since they’re closed today, hopefully they will get back to me soon. It’s hard to get here in Canada as you’re actually not supposed to be able to buy it in Canada. I went to another fish store today that isn’t my usual one and they recommended metroplex, any thoughts on that? He told me a place where I could get it
Metroplex is an anti-protozoal, with very limited effect against anaerobic bacteria, I wouldn't expect it to help in this case. Getting fish drugs in Canada is a big issue....

Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex is an anti-protozoal, with very limited effect against anaerobic bacteria, I wouldn't expect it to help in this case. Getting fish drugs in Canada is a big issue....

Jay
She’s also been a little pinker than usual and had some spots that were purple almost like bruising this morning…. Just remembered to mention

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Just got Maracn 2 under the table today from my LFS thankfully. She's doing alright today, I noticed what looks like a white patch (possibly an abrasion?) on her right fin today and her fins are looking pretty frayed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got Maracn 2 under the table today from my LFS thankfully. She's doing alright today, I noticed what looks like a white patch (possibly an abrasion?) on her right fin today and her fins are looking pretty frayed.

Can you try posting a new pictures?

jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you go
Ugh, remind me, there is another clown in with it right? If so, the tattered fins look like fighting. You may never see it happen, because the clowns are pretty sly at hiding their aggression.
Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, remind me, there is another clown in with it right? If so, the tattered fins look like fighting. You may never see it happen, because the clowns are pretty sly at hiding their aggression.
Jay
Yes there is but honestly they seem pretty close, I’ve never seen him nip her even once, but I will keep an eye out. She did get stuck to the filter intake the other day which I think may have caused the tattered fins? Anyways, I can separate her in an acclimation box type thing if you think it’s needed? That might also help her get more food in too…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is but honestly they seem pretty close, I’ve never seen him nip her even once, but I will keep an eye out. She did get stuck to the filter intake the other day which I think may have caused the tattered fins? Anyways, I can separate her in an acclimation box type thing if you think it’s needed? That might also help her get more food in too…
Yes, getting stuck on the filter intake could cause that. An acclimation box would fix either issue and allow it to get more food, like you said.

Jay

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex worked for me in quarantine a while back so you could try it. I also soaked the food in metroplex. I believe seachem has a formalin based med. Also, you could try malachite green which also worked for me but I caught the brook very early when I used it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back