Clownfish HELP!!!

cweaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Somewhat new to the salt life

Yesterday I noticed some white spots on my clownfish, today they are more clear but still noticeable, what could they be ? Ich or velvet/brooklynella ? He is eating and still pretty active but he sucks on the tentacles of the elegance coral

Tank info, 65 gal marine, with sump below running protein skimmer and carbon in media reactor, in the tank we have live rocks, corals, gem tang, blue tang and a coral beauty, a crab, and a few snails and a starfish, all levels are all good and have been within the range of what they should be.

We did just up the blue light intensity a couple days ago as we got a good par meter and needed to boost blue light for the corals,

Food and additives are flake, seaweed, and AB+ regularly

I haven’t added anything new in the last month or so, other than a few rocks but they were dry, not from an established tank,

Please help to figure out what these spots are, so far we don’t seem to notice anything on the other fish, what’s the best course of action here ?

Pictures attached

IMG_5159.jpeg IMG_5160.jpeg IMG_5162.jpeg IMG_5164.jpeg IMG_5166.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have some white light photos and a short video please? Appears to be velvet or brook and a hospital tank should be set up asap.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there. Somewhat new to the salt life

Yesterday I noticed some white spots on my clownfish, today they are more clear but still noticeable, what could they be ? Ich or velvet/brooklynella ? He is eating and still pretty active but he sucks on the tentacles of the elegance coral

Tank info, 65 gal marine, with sump below running protein skimmer and carbon in media reactor, in the tank we have live rocks, corals, gem tang, blue tang and a coral beauty, a crab, and a few snails and a starfish, all levels are all good and have been within the range of what they should be.

We did just up the blue light intensity a couple days ago as we got a good par meter and needed to boost blue light for the corals,

Food and additives are flake, seaweed, and AB+ regularly

I haven’t added anything new in the last month or so, other than a few rocks but they were dry, not from an established tank,

Please help to figure out what these spots are, so far we don’t seem to notice anything on the other fish, what’s the best course of action here ?

Pictures attached

IMG_5159.jpeg IMG_5160.jpeg IMG_5162.jpeg IMG_5164.jpeg IMG_5166.jpeg
Agree on needing pics under pure white light intensity as pics are very dark. Also the diet is very inadequate as clowns are carnivores and not herbivore. Add LRS fish frenzy, small plankton, and spirulina mysis shrimp to diet

OP
OP
C

cweaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3656.mov
    15.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some,
Has the clown been hosting in the coral for long, or is it actevcenr thing?

From the video, I can’t rule out ich. Spots coming and going at first, and not showing on all fish is also an early hallmark of it.

OP
OP
C

cweaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some,

Here’s some,
Agree on needing pics under pure white light intensity as pics are very dark. Also the diet is very inadequate as clowns are carnivores and not herbivore. Add LRS fish frenzy, small plankton, and spirulina mysis shrimp to diet

Has the clown been hosting in the coral for long, or is it actevcenr thing?

From the video, I can’t rule out ich. Spots coming and going at first, and not showing on all fish is also an early hallmark of it.
He’s been hosting in it for about 2 months now since we put it in the tank,

Tonight the spots were more white again,

We did set up a nano tank to put the clown in for the time being, so far we haven’t noticed any spots on any of the other fish

Not to sure what else to do

Thanks for the help thus far

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He’s been hosting in it for about 2 months now since we put it in the tank,

Tonight the spots were more white again,

We did set up a nano tank to put the clown in for the time being, so far we haven’t noticed any spots on any of the other fish

Not to sure what else to do

Thanks for the help thus far
first thing to do is to isolate fish I am seeing spots on top of the fish and not entire body. If this is true, may be secondary bacterial lesion which are often confused with ich. Treatment will vary between this and ich. If lesions, will be seachem Kanaplex or ruby rally pro which takes longer.

OP
OP
C

cweaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing to do is to isolate fish I am seeing spots on top of the fish and not entire body. If this is true, may be secondary bacterial lesion which are often confused with ich. Treatment will vary between this and ich. If lesions, will be seachem Kanaplex or ruby rally pro which takes longer.
Unfortunately there is def spots all over his body, earlier today they weren’t so noticeable but became more apparent again

He is now moved into nano tank to be isolated from the other fish, I have also treated with malachite green treatment in the nano tank,

No changes have been made to our DT as of yet, the three fish in the DT tank seem to be okay so far, what are options to treat the DT as we have quite a bit of corals in there as well

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately there is def spots all over his body, earlier today they weren’t so noticeable but became more apparent again

He is now moved into nano tank to be isolated from the other fish, I have also treated with malachite green treatment in the nano tank,

No changes have been made to our DT as of yet, the three fish in the DT tank seem to be okay so far, what are options to treat the DT as we have quite a bit of corals in there as well
All over suggest then - Ich. You will definitely want to quarantine and treat with coppersafe at treatment level 2.25 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as hanna brand. Also monitor the ammonia level during treatment with a reliable test kit and increase aeration. Any other fish in the tank with clown should be moved to quarantine also as they are likely exposed to the parasites for a period of 6-8 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back