Clownfish help

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish is laying on the sand in the corner of the tank, he isn't gasping or breathing fast and he moves his fins but normal nothing abnormal. His other half of the pair comes over and swims by him for a bit every few minutes.

Is he okay, is this normal or is there something wrong?

All my water parameters are normal and he ate when I fed them

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a video.

Did you quarantine them or add anything recently?

List your parameters. “Normal” isn’t day much as people often say this but later state they don’t test some levels.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a video.

Did you quarantine them or add anything recently?

List your parameters. “Normal” isn’t day much as people often say this but later state they don’t test some levels.

Video is difficult to get of all of him since he is in the corner but thats what I could get
The stuff beside him is fresh squid it gets taken out in a few minutes but my goby and blennys are still eating

Parameters
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25 ( tank is still in end stages of cycling )
Nitrate between 0 and 5.0 ppm the color is closer to the 0 ppm

Haven't added anything except prime during a 20% water change yesterday tested the new water before putting it in to be sure levels matched

I've had him for 2 months and he has laid on the ground many times just not this long usually, yesterday he was up swimming with the other fish

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clown would do that in the corner as well when he sleeps? does he do that all the time?

Not all the time he does swim around and eat, but he has always laid on the sand since I got him 2 months ago. My other clown is a very active swimmer and likes swimming with the schooling fish we have

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he swimming or laying on the sand out of the current? Does he occasionally look like he’s yawning? You could always treat for flukes with prazipro (harmless dewormer to your cuc) and if you see any reactions he probably has them in his gills....I’d then do round of metro in food to prevent infection. If anything, if he has them you will cure him and he lives instead of slowly suffocating from inner gill inflammation....worst case, he doesn’t have them, he’s still alive and your fish have been dewormed. :)

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you’re having problems cause it sounds as if your tank isn’t cycled. I’m not sure what you expect other than problems. I suggest returning the livestock to your LFS and doing some research about this hobby. You’re going to cause yourself a lot of money and headaches by stumbling through it.

And like I said before, you didn’t list half of your parameters.

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank. You said that your tank is still in end stages of cycling, but you have the clowns for 2 months. Were they on a different tank before?

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you’re having problems cause it sounds as if your tank isn’t cycled. I’m not sure what you expect other than problems. I suggest returning the livestock to your LFS and doing some research about this hobby. You’re going to cause yourself a lot of money and headaches by stumbling through it.

And like I said before, you didn’t list half of your parameters.

Sorry you think that the tank has been running for 3 months, and the fish were in a separate cycled tank for the first 2 and a half, many and most people cycle their tank with clowns because they are hardy, some people choose to do a fishless cycle I choose not to. My other fish in the tank is doing perfectly fine and happy. I live in Hawaii have had saltwater tanks all my life in the family this is just my first large tank running it myself, ive run small tanks fine for years.. In hawaii btw, fish stores don't take fish back,, especially not after ive had him for months. And again the other fish in my tank are perfectly fine happy and helping to finish the last of my tanks cycle. Also how am I supposed to test for things when every kit I have access to here only has those 4 things other than salinity which is at 1.023 healthy for a saltwater tank.

I asked a question because I'm worried about a behavior of one fish, not to be told research things that I have already researched, and technically I am researching by asking for help on clowns I know exactly what I'm doing. I just didn't want to have to ask my parents a question when I am trying to do this tank on my own.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank. You said that your tank is still in end stages of cycling, but you have the clowns for 2 months. Were they on a different tank before?
Yes they were in a different tank before. The current tank is a little more than 4 months old

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you think that the tank has been running for 3 months, and the fish were in a separate cycled tank for the first 2 and a half, many and most people cycle their tank with clowns because they are hardy, some people choose to do a fishless cycle I choose not to. My other fish in the tank is doing perfectly fine and happy. I live in Hawaii have had saltwater tanks all my life in the family this is just my first large tank running it myself, ive run small tanks fine for years.. In hawaii btw, fish stores don't take fish back,, especially not after ive had him for months. And again the other fish in my tank are perfectly fine happy and helping to finish the last of my tanks cycle. Also how am I supposed to test for things when every kit I have access to here only has those 4 things other than salinity which is at 1.023 healthy for a saltwater tank.

I asked a question because I'm worried about a behavior of one fish, not to be told research things that I have already researched, and technically I am researching by asking for help on clowns I know exactly what I'm doing. I just didn't want to have to ask my parents a question when I am trying to do this tank on my own.
Sorry 4 months not 3

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he swimming or laying on the sand out of the current? Does he occasionally look like he’s yawning? You could always treat for flukes with prazipro (harmless dewormer to your cuc) and if you see any reactions he probably has them in his gills....I’d then do round of metro in food to prevent infection. If anything, if he has them you will cure him and he lives instead of slowly suffocating from inner gill inflammation....worst case, he doesn’t have them, he’s still alive and your fish have been dewormed. :)

Thanks ill see if I can get ahold of those things

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back