Clownfish hosting toadstool causing problems with other corals?

RyanN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having problems with corals bleaching and eventually succumbing for a while now and I can't figure out what's going on. I did an ICP and everything came back fine other than high nitrates....turns out expired test kits can be insanely off. Since I had no clue what the issue was I started doing bigger water changes and that helped a lot, things started turning around but I still have some corals that look kind of bleached. I have plenty of nitrates and phosphates and my lights are not too bright so I'm wondering if maybe the clowns hosting the toadstool is causing some release of chemicals? I'm thinking about getting an anemone to see if they'll host that and hopefully that'll fix the problem? Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. The things that are living are growing SLOW. I run carbon, no skimmer. My corals were growing fast up until this toadstool got huge and the clowns started hosting it.

OP
OP
R

RyanN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .08
Alk 9
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1200

Flow is a sicce return pump and a Nero 3 set to 75% of maximum pulse in a 45 gallon tank.

Lights start coming on at 11 and off by 9. 2 AI primes.
Screenshot_20230722-211327.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back