Clownfish ich or...?

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two tier breeding system, top is sectioned off into 4 sections bottom is in 3 sections, all going to the same sump. The 4 pairs on top stopped breeding and looks like, I'm guessing now, that they ich. I've treated with prazipro for 28 days and before that with metroplex. Bottom tank isn't affected, fish are fine and are continuously breeding. Only two of them from the top tank of different pairs have spots/cloudy skin as of right now. Can someone confirm if in fact this is ich or something else? Sorry for the bad pictures I'll try to get some better pics.
20240208_141148.jpg
20240208_141053.jpg
20240208_140831.jpg
20240208_140826.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a two tier breeding system, top is sectioned off into 4 sections bottom is in 3 sections, all going to the same sump. The 4 pairs on top stopped breeding and looks like, I'm guessing now, that they ich. I've treated with prazipro for 28 days and before that with metroplex. Bottom tank isn't affected, fish are fine and are continuously breeding. Only two of them from the top tank of different pairs have spots/cloudy skin as of right now. Can someone confirm if in fact this is ich or something else? Sorry for the bad pictures I'll try to get some better pics.
20240208_141148.jpg
20240208_141053.jpg
20240208_140831.jpg
20240208_140826.jpg
Pictures are a bit dark. Location says ich while it can also be secondary bacterial lesions.
Any unusual signs you are seeing such as heavier breathing, loss of color, loss of appetite or listless behavior?

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them (not pictured) is breathing heavy but doesn't have any spots. All acting the same, apart from not breeding anymore, no loss of appetite or color, swimming regular, just the orange one in the picture does scratch from time to time on the clay pot.

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't get a good picture, I suck at it, hopefully the videos are decent enough.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't get a good picture, I suck at it, hopefully the videos are decent enough.

The fish in the first video are breathing really fast. Their skin is a bit cloudy, but I don't see ich spots on any of the fish. Is there good aeration in their tank? If so, then I'd have to say this is either Amyloodinium/velvet or Brooklynella.

Both of those are rare in breeding systems, which typically have more long term captive fish....have you added any new fish recently?

Jay

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a "bonded pair" about a year ago turns out they weren't bonded and this happened. I dosed metroplex and prazi it went away they were fine, about 2 months ago they started getting like this again. I haven't added any fish since the. Yes there is good aeration in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a "bonded pair" about a year ago turns out they weren't bonded and this happened. I dosed metroplex and prazi it went away they were fine, about 2 months ago they started getting like this again. I haven't added any fish since the. Yes there is good aeration in the tank.
Well, no recent disease introduction then.

You said the fish in the lower system aren’t showing signs of issues at all, or just not as severe?

Do you have any treatment tanks you can use?

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See no dots on the fins….thats a good thing but no guarantee.

Maybe I see some fin damage on the first pics….cant see the vid.

Could there be some disagreement that has arose?

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no recent disease introduction then.

You said the fish in the lower system aren’t showing signs of issues at all, or just not as severe?

Do you have any treatment tanks you can use?

Jay
The fish in the lower system isn't showing any signs and breeding as they normally do. I do have a 20 tall and a 10 gallon I can use as treatment tanks.
See no dots on the fins….thats a good thing but no guarantee.

Maybe I see some fin damage on the first pics….cant see the vid.

Could there be some disagreement that has arose?
I haven't noticed them fighting other than the usual little dominance pushes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in the lower system isn't showing any signs and breeding as they normally do. I do have a 20 tall and a 10 gallon I can use as treatment tanks.

I haven't noticed them fighting other than the usual little dominance pushes.
What about trying metro and prazi again as it seemed to help the first time? General Cure has both together? Then, just extend the treatment an extra round to try and knock it out for good.

Jay

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about trying metro and prazi again as it seemed to help the first time? General Cure has both together? Then, just extend the treatment an extra round to try and knock it out for good.

Jay
I just finished a 28 day prazi dose a few days ago. Every 3 days I would do a 20 percent water change and redose. I'm currently doing metro every 48 hrs. The first time around I belive within a week or two with the prazi they got better, this time it looks like it's not helping. Should I try General Cure or do another 28 days with prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a 28 day prazi dose a few days ago. Every 3 days I would do a 20 percent water change and redose. I'm currently doing metro every 48 hrs. The first time around I belive within a week or two with the prazi they got better, this time it looks like it's not helping. Should I try General Cure or do another 28 days with prazi?

I would focus on the metro in this case. How many doses of that have you done in the past week? Do you know the dose that you are delivering?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can really deplete water oxygenation. This can cause rapid breathing in fish

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on the metro in this case. How many doses of that have you done in the past week? Do you know the dose that you are delivering?
Today is going to be the third dose. I'm using seachem metroplex, two scoops that come with the bottle per 10 gallons.

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can really deplete water oxygenation. This can cause rapid breathing in fish
All the returns are pointed toward the surface. Also kept the skimmer running with the cup off. Maybe I should add a airstone?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is going to be the third dose. I'm using seachem metroplex, two scoops that come with the bottle per 10 gallons.
That’s a pretty standard metro dose. I guess wait for 24 hours after the third dose and then decide the direction to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back