Clownfish ID

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got these two at my local Petco. One was marked as an "assorted premium" clown for $50 and one was marked as "assorted" for $15. Both are from ORA per the store, I'm curious as to what you all think these are. I've had them paired up for about 7 months now, they've made a chalice their home which I think is stinging them, the male in the first pic had some black spots that weren't there at first.

Here is the "assorted clown". This is the best shot I currently have and only count 10 dorsal spines, however the eye is darker than I would think for a Percula.
IMG_3193.PNG

Here's the female, again, best shot I have for now. I'll work on a better one. Black Ice Snowflake is the closest I can find. Thoughts?

IMG_3194.PNG

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, there are so many morphs of clowns being bred in captivity, it's hard to tell them apart.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one might be some kind of mocha but usually those are just darker orange all over. Interesting little fish, not seen one where the black is so broken but the white is still natural. Is it really that orange in person?

The other is just some kind of snowflake. Not really anything special. Knowing petco this one was the $50 one and the interesting one was cheap, right?

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, there are so many morphs of clowns being bred in captivity, it's hard to tell them apart.
I know, it's driving me nuts to try and make these fit into a box lol. Reminds me of the ball python morphs. A "super hyper hypo deluxe cinnamon pastel spider!"

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one might be some kind of mocha but usually those are just darker orange all over. Interesting little fish, not seen one where the black is so broken but the white is still natural. Is it really that orange in person?

The other is just some kind of snowflake. Not really anything special. Knowing petco this one was the $50 one and the interesting one was cheap, right?
You nailed it on the pricing. The orange was such a deep dark orange it immediately caught my eye and I had to buy it. And since it was so many months ago, it was either 25 or 15 I can't recall. I don't really ever buy fish there since I have an LFS, but their ORA clowns when they get them are too good to pass up price wise.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I got these two at my local Petco. One was marked as an "assorted premium" clown for $50 and one was marked as "assorted" for $15. Both are from ORA per the store, I'm curious as to what you all think these are. I've had them paired up for about 7 months now, they've made a chalice their home which I think is stinging them, the male in the first pic had some black spots that weren't there at first.

Here is the "assorted clown". This is the best shot I currently have and only count 10 dorsal spines, however the eye is darker than I would think for a Percula.
IMG_3193.PNG

Here's the female, again, best shot I have for now. I'll work on a better one. Black Ice Snowflake is the closest I can find. Thoughts?

IMG_3194.PNG
Looks like a mocha and often starts as an orange percula and turns dark as it matures as some of mine have done

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one looks like a Photon and the second one looks like a Black Ice that's not showing much of the Snowflake morph's traits (the stripes should be more wavy).

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it on the pricing. The orange was such a deep dark orange it immediately caught my eye and I had to buy it. And since it was so many months ago, it was either 25 or 15 I can't recall. I don't really ever buy fish there since I have an LFS, but their ORA clowns when they get them are too good to pass up price wise.
My current pair in the big tank are petco fish. Beautiful, perfect darwin for $15 because they didn't know what they had. Other one I got a darwin misbar so I'd be able to tell them apart.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current pair in the big tank are petco fish. Beautiful, perfect darwin for $15 because they didn't know what they had. Other one I got a darwin misbar so I'd be able to tell them apart.
I hate going there because I'd much rather support my LFS, especially since it's the only LFS within an hour of my house. I do the formerly dollar per gallon now 50% off tank pricing and then the ORA clowns at max 50 bucks. Kinda funny because their other fish are way more than the LFS who never orders the designer clowns, but he'll sell a blue tang, for example, for 60 bucks while Petco is 140. Six line wrasse, 20 bucks, powder brown tang 50 bucks...he said he sells as close to cost as possible to keep people in the hobby in such a small town.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went there again today after church, grabbed a Platinum and Percula misbar for 56 bucks plus tax, crazy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back