Clownfish immediately bonded

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g, took out a yellowtail damsel and put him in a 30g. put 2 clownfish in the 75g DT. Floated them in the bag for about 2 hours and then dropped them in. They immediately bonded, and they rarely separate. I think they're trying to find a good spot to be home because they swim a lot around the rock work looking for a save cave to call home. I am going to put the damselfish back in, with some new rock I ordered, hoping that being the new addition he will leave the clown pair alone. What do you think?

Is it common for two clown fish to bond immediately? I told LFS I wanted the biggest & smallest in the tank, and there were probably 20 fish in there so I highly doubt I grabbed two bonded fish prior to purchase.

Also - I don't really want them to breed and make a bunch of little tiny fish that all die and crash the tank. Has anyone had any experience with this, and recommendations for possible spawning of a bunch of fish?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g, took out a yellowtail damsel and put him in a 30g. put 2 clownfish in the 75g DT. Floated them in the bag for about 2 hours and then dropped them in. They immediately bonded, and they rarely separate. I think they're trying to find a good spot to be home because they swim a lot around the rock work looking for a save cave to call home. I am going to put the damselfish back in, with some new rock I ordered, hoping that being the new addition he will leave the clown pair alone. What do you think?

Is it common for two clown fish to bond immediately? I told LFS I wanted the biggest & smallest in the tank, and there were probably 20 fish in there so I highly doubt I grabbed two bonded fish prior to purchase.

Also - I don't really want them to breed and make a bunch of little tiny fish that all die and crash the tank. Has anyone had any experience with this, and recommendations for possible spawning of a bunch of fish?
they can, but also may fight to determine who becomes the female too.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine with the damsel.
Sometimes clowns bond readily, other times it’s a rocky road, and then there’s the case where they never do pair and one is killed.
You got lucky!

To my knowledge, clowns will readily pair but not always breed, it’s a bit more specialized. They may lay eggs but if you do nothing to help them along, chances are no fry will make it long term. Clowns do get very aggressive in breeding mode though.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically clownfish will pair up and start swimming together pretty quickly. In a 75g you shouldn't have any issue, but it is possible they end up fighting a little when one tries to become female.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine bonded pretty quickly but they each have their routines and personal hangouts. The female has adopted one of my btas as host but the male hangs out with my Duncan’s and secondarily with a select few Goni . They will pal up and hang together at times but they each have their spots. As far as damsels go, I have a yellowtail and he postures at the clowns but nothing ever really happens.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think you will get fry. My clowns get along, but I would not call them bonded. However I have green Chromis who spawn every few weeks. When they do, the male becomes aggressive. I never got fry. Either the eggs are eaten or, as the male protects them, the first hatchings are. As long as other fish are in the tank you will not get babies. They all become fish food. It is nothing like Mollies, who did make my planted FW tank crash.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back