Clownfish in trouble - HELP!

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns that have finished TTM and are on their 2nd day in my observation QT. I used Prazipro on days 2 and 4 of TTM and through all 12 days they seemed to be doing great.

Now, a little over a day in the larger 35G QT tank and 1 of the clowns is flashing (rubbing against the bottom), swimming a little frantic in spurts but otherwise a little lethargic compared to the past time in TTM. They seem to be breathing heavily as well.

I did run some tests and Ammonia is 0, but Nitrates and Nitrites are high.

I just did a 5 gallon water change.

What should I do next?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did prazi on day 2 and 4 or on transfers 2 and 4? Just to be clear.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I did Prazi on the last 24 hours of transer 2 and transfer 4. I tried to follow the TTM method as closely as I could.

Ok. great. That's what I was hoping. :) So he's breathing heavy and flashing against the bottom of the tank? Could you get a picture or video of him for us?

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. great. That's what I was hoping. :) So he's breathing heavy and flashing against the bottom of the tank? Could you get a picture or video of him for us?

I'm uploading the video as we type. I also just noticed the other clown has some long white stringy poop.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have metroplex on hand, but not focus

You can dose that in the water of a QT, but it's best and most effective when fed. See if you can find Focus to bind it to the food.

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose that in the water of a QT, but it's best and most effective when fed. See if you can find Focus to bind it to the food.
Should I treat the tank now and try and pick up focus tomorrow, or should I soak some mysis shrimp in Metro and try and feed them?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I treat the tank now and try and pick up focus tomorrow, or should I soak some mysis shrimp in Metro and try and feed them?

Either will be about the same level of effectiveness. It wouldn't hurt to do that for tonight and still try to find focus tomorrow

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try hex shield Its a new life spectrum pellet food w meds already in it. It has worked on my clowns on more than one occasion

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the flashing, heavy breathing, and lethargy also indicative of intestinal worms or could they have another disease as well.
The clown with the stringy white poop is hanging out in the corner, but it is the other clown that is flashing and swimming sporadically around the tank. They both seem to be breathing heavy.

Also, how soon can I expect this behavior to change to know if the treatment is working?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the flashing, heavy breathing, and lethargy also indicative of intestinal worms or could they have another disease as well.
The clown with the stringy white poop is hanging out in the corner, but it is the other clown that is flashing and swimming sporadically around the tank. They both seem to be breathing heavy.

Also, how soon can I expect this behavior to change to know if the treatment is working?

Some internal parasites can cause heavy breathing & lethargy, but the flashing is unusual. Something tells me you have another problem: Velvet or brook are my prime suspects.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back