Clownfish intoxicated?

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
My wife wanted a coral tank, so we converted an existing tank (macroalgae before) into a reef tank. Substrate Was left in there, but we added New rockwork. I treated the rockwork with microbe lift Filter gel, as i always do. And a 100% Waterchange.
It's a 100 litre tank true water Volumen (26gal)
We got 2 clownfish on the next day (saturday), acclimated them. They did eat on sunday morning.
So then we got corals on sunday, and i put them in the Tank with DD-Epoxy coral clay gray, used half the package.
The tank didn't got cloudy at all.
Long story short, th smaller clownfish was monday morning dead and the second one is losing its fins and tumbles.

I put him in a different tank with fresh saltwater water, life rocks and added some reef rally pro because i thought it was Brookynella in the morning and airstone and Filter is running.
It get's worse every hour.
The snails and shrimp in the tank is fine and corals do Look good, so i am not sure about the intoxication by the DD Epoxy, but i am also not sure if it is Brookynella and if Brook killt overnight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello.
My wife wanted a coral tank, so we converted an existing tank (macroalgae before) into a reef tank. Substrate Was left in there, but we added New rockwork. I treated the rockwork with microbe lift Filter gel, as i always do. And a 100% Waterchange.
It's a 100 litre tank true water Volumen (26gal)
We got 2 clownfish on the next day (saturday), acclimated them. They did eat on sunday morning.
So then we got corals on sunday, and i put them in the Tank with DD-Epoxy coral clay gray, used half the package.
The tank didn't got cloudy at all.
Long story short, th smaller clownfish was monday morning dead and the second one is losing its fins and tumbles.

I put him in a different tank with fresh saltwater water, life rocks and added some reef rally pro because i thought it was Brookynella in the morning and airstone and Filter is running.
It get's worse every hour.
The snails and shrimp in the tank is fine and corals do Look good, so i am not sure about the intoxication by the DD Epoxy, but i am also not sure if it is Brookynella and if Brook killt overnight.
Protective slime coat has separated and the tail/fins are rotting away. With no other fish or aggression possibilities, I suspect the epoxy has leached something of caused a reaction. I dont have access to a computer to see what ingredients are within epoxy, but if it was not fully cured, may have been a contributor to this. In reaction to this, I would place or have placed carbon to eliminate any toxins in the tank, even after transfer.
While this mimics brook, I have reason to believe its not with the mucus generally starting at face or gills and generally does not cover a fish this quickly and a bacterial issue would be a second possibility in which Ruby Rally Pro addresses both.
Of course with Ruby, you dont want carbon at the same time. A freshwater dip may help with slime but with fish distressed may also cause further stress and even death.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protective slime coat has separated and the tail/fins are rotting away. With no other fish or aggression possibilities, I suspect the epoxy has leached something of caused a reaction. I dont have access to a computer to see what ingredients are within epoxy, but if it was not fully cured, may have been a contributor to this. In reaction to this, I would place or have placed carbon to eliminate any toxins in the tank, even after transfer.
While this mimics brook, I have reason to believe its not with the mucus generally starting at face or gills and generally does not cover a fish this quickly and a bacterial issue would be a second possibility in which Ruby Rally Pro addresses both.
Of course with Ruby, you dont want carbon at the same time. A freshwater dip may help with slime but with fish distressed may also cause further stress and even death.
He is now in a seperate Tank.
If i do a 100% Waterchangey wpuld there still be a need for Carbon?
But why are snails, shrimp and coral unaffected, if we talk about toxins?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He is now in a seperate Tank.
If i do a 100% Waterchangey wpuld there still be a need for Carbon?
But why are snails, shrimp and coral unaffected, if we talk about toxins?
Yes being water change will reduce any toxins opposed to carbon removing the toxins

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes being water change will reduce any toxins opposed to carbon removing the toxins
So let me understand.
I took him out of the coral tank, where i used the epoxy, then i put him in a new tank, with fresh saltwater and life rocks. I need to use carbon in the new quarantine tank?

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i still don't get it.
Why i need to change 100% water in the quarantine tank i put the clownfish 12 hours ago with fresh saltwater?
Are there so much toxins on the fish body so he saturate 50 litres of water with toxins?

I get the point with the carbon in the coral tank where i used the epoxy. Somehow snails, shrimp and corals do good in there.
So to keep it simple, quarantine tank with the clownfish is TANK B, the coral tank with epoxy is TANK A

In which tank i should change 100% water and in which one i should run carbon?

Sorry for the trouble, but i just don't get it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So let me understand.
I took him out of the coral tank, where i used the epoxy, then i put him in a new tank, with fresh saltwater and life rocks. I need to use carbon in the new quarantine tank?
No. Im stating carbon will remove toxins, not suggesting which I guess is confusing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These are low level toxins and as with many circumstances including disease, inverts are often unaffected. Its the same with dino- Those toxins will impact coral and not so much fish. Especially if youre using Ruby Rally, no need for carbon. 100% change is considered a sterile tank

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are low level toxins and as with many circumstances including disease, inverts are often unaffected. Its the same with dino- Those toxins will impact coral and not so much fish. Especially if youre using Ruby Rally, no need for carbon. 100% change is considered a sterile tank
I added carbon to the coral tank.

Quarantine tank got cleaned and 100% waterchange.
But now i removed the live rocks, wo its blank but with pvc pipes in for hiding.
Should i add starter bacteria and ruby reef rally or just clean water?

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081
The clownfish looks like this today.
Added yesterday ruby reef to the new saltwater.
I kinda think it is Brook, but i am not sure how long a intoxication lasts.
I will turn of the Filter, but will let the airpump run, he has a hard time swimming without big fins.
What do you think it is?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081
The clownfish looks like this today.
Added yesterday ruby reef to the new saltwater.
I kinda think it is Brook, but i am not sure how long a intoxication lasts.
I will turn of the Filter, but will let the airpump run, he has a hard time swimming without big fins.
What do you think it is?
I see bacterial which Ruby Rally will address. Its not a quick treatment as Ruby takes a couple days to start working. In Germany, Aquasonic formalin or Waterlife Myxazin will also work

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see bacterial which Ruby Rally will address. Its not a quick treatment as Ruby takes a couple days to start working. In Germany, Aquasonic formalin or Waterlife Myxazin will also work
So i should use Ruby and wait a few days?
Does this fish have a fe more days to live or is he already to far?
I got some other medications on hand here, mostly for freshwater fish, but what stuff do i need right now for faster treatment? Got something with copper, methyleneorange and proflavin inside.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So i should use Ruby and wait a few days?
Does this fish have a fe more days to live or is he already to far?
I got some other medications on hand here, mostly for freshwater fish, but what stuff do i need right now for faster treatment? Got something with copper, methyleneorange and proflavin inside.
Proflavine is a bactericide for pond fish but may have ingredients with acriflavine in which ruby Rally would be more effective. For quick and temporary relief, you can give clown a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank, but depending how stressed the fish is, it can also further stress the fish even causing it to perish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back