Clownfish Mating?

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a pair of snowflake clowns and just noticed a very unusual behavior. They are in the back corner of the tank, lights are still on but ramping down. They keep rubbing on each other and the female is pushing the male around. They will swim constantly up and down in the corner and it looks like the male keeps twitching.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns have crazy behavior patterns! If they are laying eggs, you'll see a circular silver like patch on the tank wall or somewhere else in the vicinity.

Mine lay eggs all the time... nothing ever comes of it, but the male guards then constantly. I scrape them off occasionally just so the male will come out and live a little.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are young, they are still just showing the submission and dominance behaviors. If they are over 2.5 years or so (most clowns anyway) they may be mating. If the female has a big tummy and the male may have a short clearish/white protrusion from anal area. Best way to describe it :)
You may get eggs. I leave them be and let them do their thing guarding and cleaning the eggs. When they hatch everyone gets a good meal.

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like they are still figuring things out. give them time and plenty of food and they will spawn for you. How long it will take will be up to them. How old are they? where did you get them from? and do you have much experience with culturing live foods?

If you plan on rearing the young you need plenty of life food ( rotifers or copepods). I always recomend to people to get experience cultluring live foods before they get their feet wet with fish breeding. However it always seems that it's someone's clowns that start laying eggs and they don't know what to do. For those of us who have raised clowns before know this. The thing about clowns is that they are easy to rear with rotifers or copepods, both can be raised on forzen phyto. There are a few threads on this fourm that will tell you how to culture both.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back