Clownfish mouth stuck open

JBNanoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, let me start by saying my tank is a 7 month old 10 gallon sumpless saltwater setup with a 190gph powerhead producing great flow around the tank. I had two clownfish for about 3 months and the male just died while I was at work so not sure what happened. All parameters were within normal range. Maybe a fight between the two? Now my one clownfish has had his mouth stuck open for two days now, swims great, no sign of fight wounds(except the mouth of course), and eats like a champ. What should I be looking out for and will this affect him at all, will it heal? Just need some words of encouragement because I don’t want this one to die either lol I’ve attached two photos of how he’s swimming with his mouth open for reference.

4c0114f6028498244ce60c6ef232d249.jpg
750dd7dad0d92f46aa7e762e104e8bf0.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lock-jaw or Jaw Hypertension. It may go away in a day or so but I would keep an eye on it. Some folks on other forums say it goes away in a couple of days.

The clownfish may have something stuck in its mouth though so take a really close look if you can, but it could also have been stung in the mouth and it hurts more to close it. It doesn't look like it's unhealthy or anything too serious. Is it breathing heavily in addition to the open mouth?

OP
OP
JBNanoReefer

JBNanoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lock-jaw or Jaw Hypertension. It may go away in a day or so but I would keep an eye on it. Some folks on other forums say it goes away in a couple of days.

The clownfish may have something stuck in its mouth though so take a really close look if you can, but it could also have been stung in the mouth and it hurts more to close it. It doesn't look like it's unhealthy or anything too serious. Is it breathing heavily in addition to the open mouth?

Not breathing heavily that I can tell. Not sure it was a sting either as I have no corals yet, lock jaw maybe? I’ll keep an eye out for anything though. Thanks!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not breathing heavily that I can tell. Not sure it was a sting either as I have no corals yet, lock jaw maybe? I’ll keep an eye out for anything though. Thanks!
Could have tried to bite a bristleworm or an aiptasia as well

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it should fix itself in a few days. To help with swelling, you could try epsom salt.

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

logan7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JBNanoReefer I’m having a similar issue with my clown. Did you have success with the epsom salt treatment? Any advice? Thanks

Chrisclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JBNanoReefer I’m having a similar issue with my clown. Did you have success with the epsom salt treatment? Any advice? Thanks
I haven’t tried that force feed gently might help but I think I started to late he’s not looking that good and I’m new to this saltwater and freshwater fish so I’m learning the hard way the furan 2 seems to reduce the redness so I do think now it is bacterial good luck I’ll up date this evening

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back