Clownfish with mouth stuck open

  • Thread starter Thread starter trintinb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

trintinb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
idaho
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long time lurker first time poster. My longfin clown has had its mouth stuck open for 14 days now and is slowing down on eating. For the first week she was like the first video, had some range of motion in it and could still take bigger flakes. Shes been like the second for the last week, little movement and only eating small flakes and small pieces of mysis. I cant find any answers on the internet other than it may or may not resolve itself. Any help would be appreciated. I know i have a hair algae problem, i had it under control until she started this and I've since been over feeding hoping to keep her alive. 0 ammonia, n03 15, po3 .1, mag 1350, alk 7.2, calc 420 currently
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2400.mov
    82.6 MB
long time lurker first time poster. My longfin clown has had its mouth stuck open for 14 days now and is slowing down on eating. For the first week she was like the first video, had some range of motion in it and could still take bigger flakes. Shes been like the second for the last week, little movement and only eating small flakes and small pieces of mysis. I cant find any answers on the internet other than it may or may not resolve itself. Any help would be appreciated. I know i have a hair algae problem, i had it under control until she started this and I've since been over feeding hoping to keep her alive. 0 ammonia, n03 15, po3 .1, mag 1350, alk 7.2, calc 420 currently

I’ve seen this a few times, it is due to mechanical damage and the bones of the mouth get stuck open. I’ve tried maneuvering the bones back into place on larger fish, with limited benefit. I don’t think that will work on a smaller fish like this, after that amount of time - sorry.
 
long time lurker first time poster. My longfin clown has had its mouth stuck open for 14 days now and is slowing down on eating. For the first week she was like the first video, had some range of motion in it and could still take bigger flakes. Shes been like the second for the last week, little movement and only eating small flakes and small pieces of mysis. I cant find any answers on the internet other than it may or may not resolve itself. Any help would be appreciated. I know i have a hair algae problem, i had it under control until she started this and I've since been over feeding hoping to keep her alive. 0 ammonia, n03 15, po3 .1, mag 1350, alk 7.2, calc 420 currently
They have to release on their own. Ive approached fish like this with a net and it snapped back but not a guaranteed process
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new