Clownfish obsessed with watchman goby

  • Thread starter Thread starter LauLau
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LauLau

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2025
Messages
19
Reaction score
8
Location
england
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve had my 240l tank set up for around 6 months. I have 2 clownfish, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair. One of my clownfish seems obsessed with my watchman goby. The clown swims down to greet and rub himself against the goby everytime he pops his head out of his little cave. I don’t know if this ‘friendly’ behaviour may end up being ‘aggressive’ either by the clownfish showing authority or the goby simply having enough.Is there anything I can do to stop this? Thanks
 
Have you noticed the goby being "pecked" at? If you don't notice any signs of distress with the goby or signs of bullying, then I wouldn't personally worry about it.
 
Is the goby withdrawing or allowing it? If the goby doesn't mind it, then I wouldn't worry. Some of my fish go visit each other and occasionally hang out.
 
Thanks so much for replying. The goby seems fine with it, there’s no visible signs of him being pecked and he’s still feeding and coming to his cave entrance. I’ll keep monitoring for now.
 
Thanks so much for replying. The goby seems fine with it, there’s no visible signs of him being pecked and he’s still feeding and coming to his cave entrance. I’ll keep monitoring for now.
How is this going? I would love to see a video of this if you could catch it.
 
How is this going? I would love to see a video of this if you could catch it.
They both seem to be doing ok. The clownfish isn’t as obsessed as much now
 
I have a clown fish and yellow tang that act like that. The clowns won’t go into my bta but will swim with my chromis school and hang with the tang.
 
I have a clown fish and yellow tang that act like that. The clowns won’t go into my bta but will swim with my chromis school and hang with the tang.
They’re so fascinating to watch. I was a little worried they may hurt each other, if the goby got sick or the clown turned to bullying but I’m pleased to say they seem ok with each other still
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new