Clownfish on side at surface

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaclown
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Well.. it's spot on when calibrating with both RO water, and PinPoint 1.026/SG 35 Calibration Fluid. So there's that...

I'm not tossing this tool around, it's just me doing the salinity test. when i received this unit, I used both RO water and Pinpoint Calibration Fluid to test it. i now normally recalibrate every 2 weeks (or see if its still calibrated.. because i have not had to play with the calibration knob.. ever.

if you were to come to my house, you'd see that i don't skimp.
No disrespect my friend. Was just throwing a little knowledge your way. RO or a bottle of mineral water, any distilled water. Float it in your tank/sump so it reaches your tank temp. Then zero out(calibrate) the refractometer. Regardless if it says atc. 😉
 
What reason do you have to believe that the PinPoint solution is "spot on" 🙃

I hope that it is, and I'm glad it's working for you, but please know it's entirely possible that the "store bought stuff" is "off". just something to keep in mind 🙂

Best of luck!
More a gimmick 🤪
 
Just to clarify one point - while nitrite testing is a good indication that a nitrogen cycle is mostly complete, nitrite itself, at the levels found in marine aquariums, is not harmful to the fish. It IS deadly to freshwater fish though....
Good catch, Jay, and thanks for clarifying. You're right that nitrite at the levels we see in saltwater isn't really a threat to the fish. I only meant it as a check on where the cycle is. Ammonia is the one to keep an eye on here.

Mike / Blue-Eyed Clowns
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new