Clownfish on side at surface

aaclown

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this clownfish for over a month and it has always swam near surface and never been to the bottom of the tank. It has recently been on its side a lot near the surface. I attach a video. The ammonia was a out 1 today so I did a 40 percent water change. The other parameters all seem alright. I'm worried it is not well as it's movement has decreased and increasingly on its side.

 
Having a hard time seeing the video but from my experience clowns are really weird. Mine likes to swim on their side, swim upright, and just hover around wavemakers acting weird. Is it otherwise eating normally?
 
Did you stop the flow in the tank for the video? If not, I would say that this is likely low oxygen, and the tank needs a lot more aeration.

Also, the tank looks very new, was it cycled for nitrogen before adding the fish?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new