Clownfish on side at surface

aaclown

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2026
Messages
26
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this clownfish for over a month and it has always swam near surface and never been to the bottom of the tank. It has recently been on its side a lot near the surface. I attach a video. The ammonia was a out 1 today so I did a 40 percent water change. The other parameters all seem alright. I'm worried it is not well as it's movement has decreased and increasingly on its side.

 
Having a hard time seeing the video but from my experience clowns are really weird. Mine likes to swim on their side, swim upright, and just hover around wavemakers acting weird. Is it otherwise eating normally?
 
Did you stop the flow in the tank for the video? If not, I would say that this is likely low oxygen, and the tank needs a lot more aeration.

Also, the tank looks very new, was it cycled for nitrogen before adding the fish?
 
Having a hard time seeing the video but from my experience clowns are really weird. Mine likes to swim on their side, swim upright, and just hover around wavemakers acting weird. Is it otherwise eating normally?
Hi eating normally thanks for comment
 
Did you stop the flow in the tank for the video? If not, I would say that this is likely low oxygen, and the tank needs a lot more aeration.

Also, the tank looks very new, was it cycled for nitrogen before adding the fish?
I have an aerator pipe although having an aeration rock attached to the end of it might be better for oxygen? Yes I cycled the tank for about 6 weeks.
 
Normal clown scare for now. Had a maroon that would do this. Clowns do some wierd things at times.

Keep an eye out on its breathing, eating, and incase anything shows up on it.
 
Last edited:
I have an aerator pipe although having an aeration rock attached to the end of it might be better for oxygen? Yes I cycled the tank for about 6 weeks.
Do you mean a protein skimmer?

Is there much water movement in the tank or is it "slow and calm" like many freshwater tanks?

I agree is doesn't look panicked or stressed at least as far as I can see, and this is well within the range of "normal" for a clownfish. :)

Doesn't mean there isn't a problem, but don't think he's sick....so at least that isn't the problem.
 
I have had this clownfish for over a month and it has always swam near surface and never been to the bottom of the tank. It has recently been on its side a lot near the surface. I attach a video. The ammonia was a out 1 today so I did a 40 percent water change. The other parameters all seem alright. I'm worried it is not well as it's movement has decreased and increasingly on its side.


In addition - did you say that your ammonia level was about 1ppm? What test kit did you use and what does it measure after the water change?
 
I have an aerator pipe although having an aeration rock attached to the end of it might be better for oxygen? Yes I cycled the tank for about 6 weeks.
When you cycled the tank, did you raise the ammonia up and wait for it to fall down near zero, or did you simply let the tank run for 6 weeks?

I think more importantly though, did you turn down the flow in your tank to take the video? If not, then I think your tank needs A LOT more circulation. This could be an issue of low oxygen for the fish due to low flow that doesn't allow for gas exchange (CO2 out and O2 in).
 
Sorry you're dealing with this. Clowns do sleep and hang out in some weird positions, but one that's spending more and more time on its side and moving less is worth taking seriously, especially with ammonia in the picture.

A few things I'd check:

- Retest ammonia with a second kit, or have your local fish store test a sample. A real 1 ppm reading in a tank that's been running six weeks usually means the cycle isn't fully done or something is rotting, like uneaten food or a dead snail or hermit.
- Test nitrite too. Until both read zero, feed lightly and keep up with water changes, matching temperature and salinity on the new water.
- Get the surface moving. Aim a powerhead or the return so the surface ripples. A fish that hangs at the top can be telling you oxygen is low.
- Check salinity with a calibrated refractometer. Swing-arm hydrometers are often off.
- Look closely for spots, cloudy eyes, fast breathing or white stringy poop. If you see any of that, post a photo or short video here and we can help narrow it down.

The fact that it's still eating is a really good sign. Let us know what the second test shows.

Mike / Blue-Eyed Clowns
 
Tank lacks flow and surface aggitation ie low ph..crank up that surface aggitation and give the clown some oxygen.

Salinity, mag, ca, alk wouldn't cause this. Ammonia that is quite possible. From the flik, The fish is clearly lacking oxygen.

Get the surface rippling and add some dr tims one and only
 
Last edited:
Sorry you're dealing with this.
- Check salinity with a calibrated refractometer. Swing-arm hydrometers are often off.

Saying this, i bought the Instant Ocean plastic hydrometer when i bought my system not knowing how often they read inaccurate.

Now i have a "Autoutlet Refractometer" that i bought on Amazon for 17 bucks.. (probably the best 17 bucks i've put out for awhile) HERE IS THE LINK. This instrument can be calibrated with RO water... But i did go ahead and buy the 'PinPoint' Calibration Fluid also.

ron-
 
Saying this, i bought the Instant Ocean plastic hydrometer when i bought my system not knowing how often they read inaccurate.

Now i have a "Autoutlet Refractometer" that i bought on Amazon for 17 bucks.. (probably the best 17 bucks i've put out for awhile) HERE IS THE LINK. This instrument can be calibrated with RO water... But i did go ahead and buy the 'PinPoint' Calibration Fluid also.

ron-
Not worth it, You spend hundreds slowly moving into thousands on equipment and livestock?
...Don't skimp on a twenty pound/dollar peice of equipment!
Buy once, spend more and have something that is reliable 😉
 
A couple of thoughts that I hope will help 🙂

We don't worry about nitrite in marine systems, it's non-toxic (unlike how it IS toxic in freshwater systems). Here's an article on "the why", if anyone is interested:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.htm

I would also suggest that one calibrates any salinity device with a DIY salinity standard solution. It's not a good idea to calibrate a refractometer with distilled or RODI water, even if the instructions for the device suggest that you do so. Additionally, inconsistencies with purchased, pre-made 35 ppt salinity standards, so making your own is the best way to go. A LOT of water chem issues can be attributed to an incorrectly calibrated salinity tester. It's beyond easy to make your own calibration fluid from ordinary Morton's kitchen salt, and a decent kitchen scale or even kitchen measuring spoons. This article has more info and easy instructions to make your own calibration fluid:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/reef-aquarium-salinity-diy-calibration-standards.956/

I hope this helps!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new