Clownfish Ovipositor.

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish ovipositor has been out since yesterday morning. She is alone in her tank with her mate, they have been showing signs of mating (twitching) but have never laid a clutch. She hasn't been to interested in frozen food the past two days and isn't eating as much but still will eat some flake food. Ive read the ovipositor was only supposed to come out right before breeding? All parameters are good.

20200130_115828.jpg 20200130_115442.jpg 20200130_115412.jpg 20200130_115345.jpg

OP
OP
S

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: her ovipositor is still out but shes eating meaty foods again.

OP
OP
S

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, she seems to be eating normal now, ovipositor is still out day 3.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intresting, i do see a good bit of algae in the background. she could be intrested in laying eggs, how old is her mate? None of my clowns laid eggs until their tanks were spotless, now each clutch is MASSAVE

OP
OP
S

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intresting, i do see a good bit of algae in the background. she could be intrested in laying eggs, how old is her mate? None of my clowns laid eggs until their tanks were spotless, now each clutch is MASSAVE

I've been leaving the algae on the sides and back in the tank to try and induce a spawn from information i found "Pickle’s Guide to Breeding Clowns"

"I do not worry so much about the regular green algae. I let that build up on the sides, I don’t know if it helps trigger the breeding instinct or not but my pairs seem to start spawning when the algae begins to show on the sides of the tank. I don’t know if they perceive it be phytoplankton but it works so I let it be. I only focus on keeping the front pane of glass clean for viewing the pairs."

Thanks for the input, if her ovipositor is still out in a few days maybe ill trying cleaning the algae and doing a big water change.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I followed the same guide haha. When I build a new brood stock tank and now keep everything spotless the lay like mad!

OP
OP
S

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that's what I'm looking forward to. Strangest thing is this whole time the male hasnt had his reproductive organ out at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back