Clownfish pairing and gender question

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two tiny clowns. One though is a lot bigger than the other. They got along great and spent the night in the same place. It’s been 3.5 months. Last night for the first time the smal one was elsewhere. I saw tonight the big one chased it off at lights out. I’m wondering if the big one now is becoming female? We’re they both too small to have gotten a gender when I got them? Is this normal that they’re just now sorting out dominance when they decide to change to male and female or are they now Just deciding they don’t like each other and I’ve got some work to do. Thanks. I didn’t see any fighting during the day today either.
200CDEC6-BCFB-48A2-BD8C-2D635FE81F2B.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish behave while watching them. Could just be normal behavior and figuring out dominance. Be on the look out for nipped fins or loss of appetite. If things get too rough put the submissive one in an acclimation box to heal up.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. You’re right. I probably wouldn’t see them fighting. Just hope it’s some bickering as they’re really pairing. Never gotten juvenile clowns before.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least I don’t see any nipped fins or injuries. I’ve been sneaking around today and they are peacefully just hanging out with each other. Saw the shimmy dance they do a few times. Just haven’t slept together 2 nights in a row. Just wait and see I guess.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna follow up on this as a thanks to zoa for the advise and for anybody else who my story might help. The clowns did come one much bigger than another and tiny. Juveniles. They were inseparable. Then they started sleeping apart for about a week. Then the aggression came. For 3 days the big one chased the little one and he spent the days in the rocks. Aftet 3 days they tolerated each other and within a week they would swim together all day but still spent nights apart. Then a few days ago they started to spend nights together again. Glad that seems like a happy ending. I wonder if the large one became female since I’m sure I got juveniles. And even though they were friends that’s when she just needed to establish dominance. I did see them doing their dance when she stopped picking on him and attacking him. He turned sideways and did the shakes when she ran up to him. So let’s just hope they stay together now.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back