Clownfish pairing question

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bit of a debate on that, most agree that it should be the female in the box to establish the relationship but you can switch them when the new acclimation box gets there. Make sure to drill more holes in the box for water flow and try and add a lid if you can, either the lid of the tupperware (cut holes for light) or some eggcrate will work.
Ive never tried doing it with the female for establishment, I plan to do this with our next pairs to see how results differ. I have about a 70% success rate with pairing when the male is acclimated to the established female, but maybe it will yield better results vice versa?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say vaguelyreeflike, I have used a bit of a different method for my pairs for the past but I have only had 4.5 pairs of clownfish as they all live a long time and the Ive had to rehome when taking tanks down (been reefing for around 18 years, 1 pair maroons then the rest percula that i have had to use this method to pair. 1 male percula went carpet surfing around 5 years ago and was replaced with the storm clownfish).

Most people say put the female in directly but I use a bit of a different method.
I put the male into the box as close as I can to the female's territory. I wait for a couple of days and see if they are doing the shaky dance then i introduce. If there is too much aggression (there usually is in my cases) I take the female and place her into the box and let the male chill in one of the anemones. Then I wait another 5 days or so and introduce again. I havent had any trouble using this method but then again hasnt been done with the largest sample size.

Last edited:

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say vaguelyreeflike, I have used a bit of a different method for my pairs for the past but I have only had 4.5 pairs of clownfish as they all live a long time and the Ive had to rehome when taking tanks down (been reefing for around 18 years, 1 pair maroons then the rest percula that i have had to use this method to pair. 1 male percula went carpet surfing around 5 years ago and was replaced with the storm clownfish).

Most people say put the female in directly but I use a bit of a different method.
I put the male into the box as close as I can to the female's territory. I wait for a couple of days and see if they are doing the shaky dance then i introduce. If there is too much aggression (there usually is in my cases) I take the female and place her into the box and let the male chill in one of the anemones. Then I wait another 5 days or so and introduce again. I havent had any trouble using this method but then again hasnt been done with the largest sample size.
I do a similar method to yours with our clowns at work, except ive never separated the female from her territory. Ive paired up about 8 or 9 pairs of ocellaris so far, if one pair doesn’t work out for longer than 2 weeks and multiple times separating the male for a couple days then reintroducing, I swap the male for a different one and put him either with a different female, or keep him alone so he can turn female and eventually add a new male to that one.

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a similar method to yours with our clowns at work, except ive never separated the female from her territory. Ive paired up about 8 or 9 pairs of ocellaris so far, if one pair doesn’t work out for longer than 2 weeks and multiple times separating the male for a couple days then reintroducing, I swap the male for a different one and put him either with a different female, or keep him alone so he can turn female and eventually add a new male to that one.
Hey um I did something maybe smart maybe dumb I put them both in the box with a divider will this work out or should I remove 1

Attachments

• 20221223_183918.jpg
    20221223_183918.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 16

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey um I did something maybe smart maybe dumb I put them both in the box with a divider will this work out or should I remove 1
I mean, this will break up any territories altogether lol. Could introduce both together after a couple days. Maybe rearrange the tank a bit. More than one way to do things so keep us updated on how it goes

OP
OP
efish

efish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, this will break up any territories altogether lol. Could introduce both together after a couple days. Maybe rearrange the tank a bit. More than one way to do things so keep us updated on how it goes
Honestly the orange one didn't even really have a territory she wandered all over the tank and slept in different places each night so I think we are fine on that front I will definitely keep you updated! Also I will rearrange the tank as well

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back