Clownfish poop

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just bought two clownfish from my LFS and have now noticed that each fish has had one day of stringy white poop. I've read that this could be caused by internal parasites or overfeeding or empty stomach or too much protein in diet so wanted to check if anyone has a sense of what might be the issue here (I detailed all the feeding below). I don't want to treat them for parasites if it's not clear they have them but also don't want to miss the optimal window to treat if there is truly an issue.

IMG_0400.jpg

I didn't feed them the first day since they had already ate at the store. The second day I fed ~10-20 pellets across two feedings and one of them was eating (and ate most of it) and pooped in a white cloud style and the other wasn't eating at all. The third day both ate a bit (probably 5-8 pellets each)--I tried a small piece of PE mysis flake but neither seemed to like it much and both only nibbled once before leaving it--and the one who pooped in a white cloud the day before pooped in a brown clump and the other one had a stringy white poop for an hour or two before it finally fell off. Today's the fourth day and both continue eating (~5-7 pellets each and seem more eager to eat than prior days) but the one who previously pooped in a white cloud (then a brown clump) now had something like the stringy white poop the other fish had (just much shorter). The one who had stringy white poop didn't seem to poop today or did it very quickly (didn't have the stringy one today). I've just been feeding New Life Spectrum Thera A (small pellets), which is also what they were fed at the LFS.

One last note, I had bought and left my clowns at the LFS for a few weeks while waiting for my new tank to cycle so one was at the LFS for 5 weeks (the other two weeks) before coming home with me (and both seemed very active and healthy there) and all the clownfish my LFS gets come from the same breeder, so I had hoped they would be quite healthy. My tank was also started with dry rock and dry sand to try and avoid carrying over anything from other tanks. Not sure if either of these factor into determining whether this is a case of internal parasites?

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be internal parasites or worms. Not sure if someone here knows how to tell the difference being that they have essentially the same symptoms, but if it were me I’d start with feeding metro and focus. Soak the pellets in garlic and vitamins with metro and focus. Feed for 10 days and it should clear up. If that doesn’t work you could treat with prazi. Although, the picture is kind of blurry so it’s hard to see if his stomach is pinched, the color looks decent though. As long as they are still eating they should be okay.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi agree parasite,considering not being fed mysis, @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are prone to "digestive issues" when moved. Most clownfish are tank raised now days, so worm parasites are rare. Protozoans are common gut fauna in fish. Under some conditions, they flourish and cause stringy feces. Other times it is from fatty foods, or lack of food.

As long as the fish are eating well, I wouldn't treat them, as it should settle down in a week or so. That said, not quarantining the fish for external parasites is a risk - watch for spots, rapid breathing and folded fins.

Jay

OP
OP
ashtoreth

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Both are still showing up with stringy poop today and one had bubbles stuck on his. Two more pictures below.
IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

I'm struggling to get a clear photo of them given they swim pretty actively so also including a short video clip in case people can identify belly or other issues that might more definitively point to parasite vs. digestive issue.

I did manage to scope out one piece of poop when it fell and put it in still water -- didn't see any signs of movement (heard that was a way to try and see if it's worms?). My LFS also said all the clowns he gets in are raised from scratch at home by the same breeder who he's been using for years.

Given the feedback, should I wait for a week to see if it settles and just get my hands on metro / focus on the side or do I risk being too late if I don't medicate now? I'm also not sure if I'm feeding too much or too little. I've been trying to limit to 5-7 pellets a day but they always seem ready to eat more but I've heard overfeeding is bad as well. Anyone have suggestions as to the right amount given they've just been moved?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to look for really small (30-50 micron) moving protozoans in the feces, it probably isn’t worms.
Jay

OP
OP
ashtoreth

ashtoreth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thanks Jay. To clarify, if it's likely protozoans then this may just clear up on its own as they get used to the new environment? And if they are stressed in the future it may still happen from time to time?

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Both are still showing up with stringy poop today and one had bubbles stuck on his. Two more pictures below.
IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

I'm struggling to get a clear photo of them given they swim pretty actively so also including a short video clip in case people can identify belly or other issues that might more definitively point to parasite vs. digestive issue.

I did manage to scope out one piece of poop when it fell and put it in still water -- didn't see any signs of movement (heard that was a way to try and see if it's worms?). My LFS also said all the clowns he gets in are raised from scratch at home by the same breeder who he's been using for years.

Given the feedback, should I wait for a week to see if it settles and just get my hands on metro / focus on the side or do I risk being too late if I don't medicate now? I'm also not sure if I'm feeding too much or too little. I've been trying to limit to 5-7 pellets a day but they always seem ready to eat more but I've heard overfeeding is bad as well. Anyone have suggestions as to the right amount given they've just been moved?

Not always but most of the time I’m quick to treat/medicate. I’m no expert and often enough there’s a fine line of when it’s too late or time to intervene and I usually miss the mark. Most of the time I’ve waited, I’ve waited too long. Personally I’m all for prophylactic treatment/quarantine (not that this is a prophylactic situation but could turn into time sensitive). Also, this ailment may not necessarily fall under the fast acting scenarios that I’m referring to but I’ve always told myself, when in doubt error on the side of caution. So would it hurt to just treat rather than wait? I guess that’s a question for someone with more experience like @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thanks Jay. To clarify, if it's likely protozoans then this may just clear up on its own as they get used to the new environment? And if they are stressed in the future it may still happen from time to time?
So - the issue is this; the only medicated food that is really obtainable now is metro or GC plus focus, mixed into food. The trouble with that is that the actual dosage is totally unknown, so you have no idea if the amount is correct. Here is an article that I explain that: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

New Life Spectrum used to sell a metro infused food. I spoke with the owner of the company when he was developing that, and the dose is pretty good. Trouble is, I couldn't find it on Amazon last time I looked.

Jay

KB20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just bought two clownfish from my LFS and have now noticed that each fish has had one day of stringy white poop. I've read that this could be caused by internal parasites or overfeeding or empty stomach or too much protein in diet so wanted to check if anyone has a sense of what might be the issue here (I detailed all the feeding below). I don't want to treat them for parasites if it's not clear they have them but also don't want to miss the optimal window to treat if there is truly an issue.

IMG_0400.jpg

I didn't feed them the first day since they had already ate at the store. The second day I fed ~10-20 pellets across two feedings and one of them was eating (and ate most of it) and pooped in a white cloud style and the other wasn't eating at all. The third day both ate a bit (probably 5-8 pellets each)--I tried a small piece of PE mysis flake but neither seemed to like it much and both only nibbled once before leaving it--and the one who pooped in a white cloud the day before pooped in a brown clump and the other one had a stringy white poop for an hour or two before it finally fell off. Today's the fourth day and both continue eating (~5-7 pellets each and seem more eager to eat than prior days) but the one who previously pooped in a white cloud (then a brown clump) now had something like the stringy white poop the other fish had (just much shorter). The one who had stringy white poop didn't seem to poop today or did it very quickly (didn't have the stringy one today). I've just been feeding New Life Spectrum Thera A (small pellets), which is also what they were fed at the LFS.

One last note, I had bought and left my clowns at the LFS for a few weeks while waiting for my new tank to cycle so one was at the LFS for 5 weeks (the other two weeks) before coming home with me (and both seemed very active and healthy there) and all the clownfish my LFS gets come from the same breeder, so I had hoped they would be quite healthy. My tank was also started with dry rock and dry sand to try and avoid carrying over anything from other tanks. Not sure if either of these factor into determining whether this is a case of internal parasites?

IMG_0400.jpg

Hi! I’m having this exact issue. Right down to the bubble in the white stringy poop. Did you ever solve the mystery? I’m trying Para guard now which works until I stop then the white comes back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back