Clownfish refusing larger food with stringy poo

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have a new reef tank with 3 occupants, 2 clown fish and an algae blenny.

One of the clowns only likes to eat frozen copepods that I got from algaebarn. It will put other food in its mouth, but spits it back out. It also has some unusual looking droppings, but I understand that is sometimes normal for clowns, but sometimes not.

The other clown is a similar size and is happy to eat small flakes and pellets.

Here is a photo of the fish in question, it is very active and is often the aggressor during occasional territorial bouts between the clowns.

PXL_20240125_231346152.jpg

I assume moving it to a QT tank is probably the right move. But wasn't sure what to medicate with or how. I do have a 40x microscope if that would be useful in diagnosing the problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

One of the clowns only likes to eat frozen copepods that I got from algaebarn. It will put other food in its mouth, but spits it back out. It also has some unusual looking droppings, but I understand that is sometimes normal for clowns, but sometimes not.

Here is a photo of the fish in question, it is very active and is often the aggressor during occasional territorial bouts between the clowns.

I assume moving it to a QT tank is probably the right move. But wasn't sure what to medicate with or how. I do have a 40x microscope if that would be useful in diagnosing the problem.
The feces appear to have excess mucus from the frozen pods which likely have bonders in the food. While flakes and pellets are accepted by these fish, offer more variety such a LRS fish frenzy, plankton, Marine cuisine and formula 1 flake and frozen

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I had a pet - and if the pet were healthy and acting normal -and I had Quarantined that animal - I would not wonder. BTW - Its probs diet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Ill try a couple of the other mentioned foods and see if they are more palatable to it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This does sound diet related. You could try some frozen brine shrimp. That’s not a good sole diet, but fish like it and it helps clear out constipation if that’s the issue.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back