Clownfish Sick

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish recently started lying down on the sand and breathing rapidly. It has 1 white spot on its head, but it is eating normally.

I've had this fish for about 1 year and the tank is about 1 and a half years old.
The tank is 40 gallons with just fish and inverts.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: ~15
PH: 8.15
Phosphate: 0.1
Salinity: 1.023

What do you guys think is wrong my clownfish?

20231014_202008.jpg 20231014_202028.jpg 20231014_202050.jpg 20231014_211554.jpg

Attachments

• 20231014_214610.mp4
    17.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Skunk clown seems to be suffering from an injury which is notable both on the head and presence of popeye. I would assure your water quality in particular ammonia -ph- nitrate are not elevated and treat the fish with Ethromyacin in the form of Maracyn- Not maracyn two or maracyn oxy
The area on head should heal but keep an eye on it for development of infection.
Is fish eating ?
Also addition of air stone and reduction of white light intensity will help relax fish a little
Maracyn should be administered in a separate quarantine tank

OP
OP
G

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skunk clown seems to be suffering from an injury which is notable both on the head and presence of popeye. I would assure your water quality in particular ammonia -ph- nitrate are not elevated and treat the fish with Ethromyacin in the form of Maracyn- Not maracyn two or maracyn oxy
The area on head should heal but keep an eye on it for development of infection.
Is fish eating ?
Also addition of air stone and reduction of white light intensity will help relax fish a little
Maracyn should be administered in a separate quarantine tank
All tank parameters are at a normal level. The fish is eating very actively as she always has.

Her eye had always seemed odd since I had gotten her, but I never paid much attention to it, is there something I can do to help heal it since it has always looked this way?

Would the head injury cause her to be laying on the sand and breathing rapidly?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All tank parameters are at a normal level. The fish is eating very actively as she always has.

Her eye had always seemed odd since I had gotten her, but I never paid much attention to it, is there something I can do to help heal it since it has always looked this way?

Would the head injury cause her to be laying on the sand and breathing rapidly?
Head injury, gill issues- yes and for eye as mentioned- Maracyn
If gas bubbles, should have released a long time ago

OP
OP
G

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will give that a try, I don't see anywhere that I can easily purchase Maracyn and get it quickly, would API E.M. Erythromycin work as well?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish recently started lying down on the sand and breathing rapidly. It has 1 white spot on its head, but it is eating normally.

I've had this fish for about 1 year and the tank is about 1 and a half years old.
The tank is 40 gallons with just fish and inverts.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: ~15
PH: 8.15
Phosphate: 0.1
Salinity: 1.023

What do you guys think is wrong my clownfish?

20231014_202008.jpg 20231014_202028.jpg 20231014_202050.jpg 20231014_211554.jpg

While a protruding eye is often the sign of an injury, when both eyes are protruding, it is usually something else - like a chronic infection. One possibility is Mycobacterium -

Mycobacterium infection (AKA "Fish Tuberculosis") is a common, yet often misdiagnosed bacterial disease of freshwater and marine fish. It has zoonotic potential as it can infect humans through cuts in the skin.

Symptoms are varied and non-specific, and can include; darkened coloration, popeye, emaciation, fin erosion, skin ulcers, and granulomas on the internal organs (which will stain for gram positive, acid-fast bacteria). In most cases, the disease is chronic and slow acting, with most fish succumbing due to "old age". However, in some species, held under crowded conditions, acute Mycobacterium infections have been seen, where a high percentage of the population will die, even at a young age. This has been noted in cichlids, pupfish, pirate perch and zebra danios.

Many treatments for Mycobacterium infections in fish have been proposed, but none work well. Antibiotics that have been used include; erythromycin, kanamycin, and rifampicin. It is probable that any drug used would need to be dosed orally, especially if freshwater fish are being treated. Control is the best course of action; maintain optimal water quality, avoid overcrowding, and remove any dead fish promptly.

Atypical Mycobacterium, M. chelonae, M. fortuitum, M. marinum are very common in the environment, and therefore are found in aquariums. They are difficult to culture but can be isolated from virtually every aquarium if you sample properly. They are commonly found in frozen seafood items, so the chance of them being introduced into aquariums is consistently high.

Sterilization of infected tank decorations and equipment is difficult, and not strongly advised since these bacteria are already in the environment, but > 200 ppm sodium hypochlorite for > 1 hour has been shown to be effective (Noga 2010).

jay

OP
OP
G

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to update this post last week, I finished my treatment of Erythromycin and it seems to have had little to no impact on the fish, unfortunately. She is still alive and eating, but she is lying down and breathing heavily.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can you
I meant to update this post last week, I finished my treatment of Erythromycin and it seems to have had little to no impact on the fish, unfortunately. She is still alive and eating, but she is lying down and breathing heavily.
Can you provide updated video of at least 20 seconds and is fish eating or trying to?

OP
OP
G

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is readily eating both pellets and frozen food. I have attached 2 videos under white light

Attachments

• 20231027_174731.mp4
    26.5 MB
  • 20231027_174609.mp4
    21.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is readily eating both pellets and frozen food. I have attached 2 videos under white light

That fish is showing some classic signs of Mycobacterium. Sorry - there is no effective treatment for that. Mycobacteria is found in literally every aquarium. Older fish, or some fish that have some other issue, develop active infections.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is showing some classic signs of Mycobacterium. Sorry - there is no effective treatment for that. Mycobacteria is found in literally every aquarium. Older fish, or some fish that have some other issue, develop active infections.

Jay
Is there anything that can be done for the fish or would euthanasia be the best course of action to ease her suffering?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything that can be done for the fish or would euthanasia be the best course of action to ease her suffering?

In my opinion - If it is still eating well, I would let it go. Once it stops eating, then consider euthanasia.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GreenTrademark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for the extremely helpful advice and information. Unfortunately, this fish stopped eating 2 days ago, and died today.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back