Clownfish sick?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is just 25 gallons. Wouldn't that make their space too small?

I've seen some people say that rearranging the aquascape can help. Is that something you would recommend?

You can try rearranging the rocks, but do not disrupt the goby's burrow. However, that often does not work well.

What I saw in the video was the clownfish hovering over the goby. A tank divider would stop that. Putting a tank divider in the aquarium only separates the fish, so if they are fine in a 25 gallon, they will also be fine in the same tank if it is evenly divided. Since the goby mostly stays in its burrow, you could even put the divider two thirds of the way across the tank, giving the clowns more swimming room.

Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try rearranging the rocks, but do not disrupt the goby's burrow. However, that often does not work well.

What I saw in the video was the clownfish hovering over the goby. A tank divider would stop that. Putting a tank divider in the aquarium only separates the fish, so if they are fine in a 25 gallon, they will also be fine in the same tank if it is evenly divided. Since the goby mostly stays in its burrow, you could even put the divider two thirds of the way across the tank, giving the clowns more swimming room.

Jay
The thing is that the goby and pistol shrimp have made a giant burrow underneath almost the whole rockwork with about 4-5 entrances so its almost impossible to divide the tank.

I lost my cleaner shrimp for unknown reasons two weeks ago (Read this for more info). Could a new cleaner shrimp help? I think I heard somewhere that they can contribute to a more peaceful environment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that the goby and pistol shrimp have made a giant burrow underneath almost the whole rockwork with about 4-5 entrances so its almost impossible to divide the tank.

I lost my cleaner shrimp for unknown reasons two weeks ago (Read this for more info). Could a new cleaner shrimp help? I think I heard somewhere that they can contribute to a more peaceful environment

Cleaner shrimp will not cure an active disease, only limit it to a small extent. I do not think adding a shrimp will stop any aggression, but maybe? Very few aquarium issues are solved by adding a new animal.

Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp will not cure an active disease, only limit it to a small extent. I do not think adding a shrimp will stop any aggression, but maybe? Very few aquarium issues are solved by adding a new animal.

Jay
It was the aggression problem I was thinking of. Cause like i said, i have no idea how to divide the tank when the burrow is so big :(

But you still think there is some kind of disease, even though there isn't much mucus?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the aggression problem I was thinking of. Cause like i said, i have no idea how to divide the tank when the burrow is so big :(

But you still think there is some kind of disease, even though there isn't much mucus?

It could still be Brooklynella, visual diagnosis is difficult from pictures or even video. The fish's fin is better, that implies an injury. How is the mucus on the fish's body today?

Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could still be Brooklynella, visual diagnosis is difficult from pictures or even video. The fish's fin is better, that implies an injury. How is the mucus on the fish's body today?

Jay
It's no more than it was yesterday. How fast does brooklynella progress?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no more than it was yesterday. How fast does brooklynella progress?
That can vary, but it generally worsens over days to a week….about the same as for ich, faster than flukes, slower than velvet.
Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can vary, but it generally worsens over days to a week….about the same as for ich, faster than flukes, slower than velvet.
Jay
Here's a new pic from today. Still the same. Behaving as normal and spots are still only on the left side, nothing on the right
IMG_5490.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new pic from today. Still the same. Behaving as normal and spots are still only on the left side, nothing on the right
IMG_5490.jpeg

This does look like Brooklynella, but that should be more or less evenly spaced on both sides of the fish, I've never seen that on just one side of a fish before. I have seen a tendency for Brook to show up a bit more towards the top and tail of a fish, but still, on both sides of it.

Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does look like Brooklynella, but that should be more or less evenly spaced on both sides of the fish, I've never seen that on just one side of a fish before. I have seen a tendency for Brook to show up a bit more towards the top and tail of a fish, but still, on both sides of it.

Jay
The white spots are now completely gone, but today I saw white stringy poop. Still eating and swimming as normal.

Can I rule out brooklynella now that the white spots are gone?

IMG_5512.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots are now completely gone, but today I saw white stringy poop. Still eating and swimming as normal.

Can I rule out brooklynella now that the white spots are gone?

IMG_5512.jpeg

I think so - Brooklynella is usually a progressive disease. the stringy feces can be from a few different things - do you have small pelleted food you can feed it?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back