Clownfish staying at the bottom of the tank, won't eat, flashing

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I added my first two fish (clownfish) to my new cycled tank 3 weeks ago. They were both doing great until yesterday.

One of them is now hovering in the lower back corner when it used to be very active and go all over the tank. It is subdued mostly, but occasionally flashes against the wall/sand. There are no apparent issues I see (no spots like ich or anything) but the fish's breathing does seem rapid/labored.

I added a coral 5 days ago, but I dipped it so hopefully nothing travelled in on it.

Would the fish flash before the ich was visible? Is this something else?

I will post a pic as soon as I can get a good one

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0514.JPG Sorry it's such a bad pic, I am terrible at this and so is my phone

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet. Need to qt it right away and treat it with copper. I prefer cupramine.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I'd also like to see your parameters.

Flashing and labored breathing often indicates a parasite in the gills. It could be velvet, brook, or maybe flukes.

I would do a fw dip to rule out flukes and give the clown a little relief. If no flukes are present we could go from there.

Freshwater Dip

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my parameters:
Temp: 78.4
SG: 1.024
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Calcium: 460 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.4 dkh
PH: 7.8
Phosphates: 0.03 ppm

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a dark bucket so you can see what falls off of the fish in the dip.

Doesn't sound good, though..

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the freshwater dip in a dark blue bucket. Unfortunately I had a heck of a time catching it and it included several times I hit the sand bed with the net, so there were flecks of sand in the bucket when I released him in there. But I assume if it was flukes I would see them moving? No worms or movement on the bottom of the bucket after 5 minutes

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the freshwater dip in a dark blue bucket. Unfortunately I had a heck of a time catching it and it included several times I hit the sand bed with the net, so there were flecks of sand in the bucket when I released him in there. But I assume if it was flukes I would see them moving? No worms or movement on the bottom of the bucket after 5 minutes
You wouldn't see anything moving, they would be dead when they dislodge by in large. Well, I guess that didn't work out as planned!

Let's see how it's acting tomorrow. I would ready a qt tank and copper if you haven't already.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't jump to velvet right off the bat here. How is the clown behaving after the freshwater dip? Was he breathing heavily before?

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems about the same this morning. Still hiding out in a back corner when he used to come right out and swim around in hopes of food if I get near the tank.

I thought about it last night and I could do another fw dip to see if it's flukes by preparing two buckets (the second bucket would give me a chance to clean all sand out of the net and catch him easily in the first one). But I have to wait a day between dips don't I?

I haven't set up a tank as I don't have a spare, I only have the DT. I do have a 30 gal Rubbermaid container I could use with the heater and power head I normally use for water changes (I assume they can be disinfected afterwards), or I could try and get something today... it's my first Mother's Day as a new mom but I guess spending it on my sick fish "baby" would be fitting lol.

If it did turn out to be flukes I could treat with Prazipro in the DT even with corals, right? Is there any harm in trying prazi in there first if I can get some today?

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and sorry forgot to answer: yes he is breathing heavily. The movement of the gills is very quick and pronounced compared to the other clown. It's about the same todayz

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and sorry forgot to answer: yes he is breathing heavily. The movement of the gills is very quick and pronounced compared to the other clown. It's about the same todayz

Ok. Yes you want to wait at least 24 hours in between dips. I think I would pull both clowns and any other fish in the tank and start copper treatment. You might want to do an Acriflavin or Formalin dip while they are on their way to the QT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, ruby reef rally works well as a dip. That will help if it's brooklynella as well.

@melypr1985
If we aren't sure if it's brook or velvet so far, would it help the OP to maybe add a little metroplex to the QT as well, if they can get it?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, ruby reef rally works well as a dip. That will help if it's brooklynella as well.

@melypr1985
If we aren't sure if it's brook or velvet so far, would it help the OP to maybe add a little metroplex to the QT as well, if they can get it?

That wouldn't be a bad idea really. The rally dip will help of course and brook is the reason I suggested it. Metroplex is safe to combine with copper so that would help with either scenario.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 152 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back