Clownfish still breathing heavy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up deleting them because the fish died and i didnt feel like i needed them.

Yes, Videos are an issue here. Youtube links work well, but when they get deleted by the host, then the thread isn't useful for future use (lots of people here just search old threads for information). On the other hand, directly linking videos here makes viewing them on some platforms (phones) impossible.

Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Videos are an issue here. Youtube links work well, but when they get deleted by the host, then the thread isn't useful for future use (lots of people here just search old threads for information). On the other hand, directly linking videos here makes viewing them on some platforms (phones) impossible.

Jay
Ah good point, i will no longer delete the videos that are linked.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Ok now it seems that all of my fish are breathing heavy. I just measured my ph and it is at 7.7 is there anyway i can increase that?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now it seems that all of my fish are breathing heavy. I just measured my ph and it is at 7.7 is there anyway i can increase that?
Well, that takes you back to square one: causes of all fish breathing fast/heavy include: water quality issues, protozoan gill disease or gill flukes. You’ve already treated with prazi, so we’ll rule out flukes. The low pH can be due to high carbon dioxide - does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?
The last common issue would be protozoal gill diseases. Chasing those down is tough because you would need to move all of the fish to a treatment tank and dose with copper.
Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that takes you back to square one: causes of all fish breathing fast/heavy include: water quality issues, protozoan gill disease or gill flukes. You’ve already treated with prazi, so we’ll rule out flukes. The low pH can be due to high carbon dioxide - does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?
The last common issue would be protozoal gill diseases. Chasing those down is tough because you would need to move all of the fish to a treatment tank and dose with copper.
Jay
I am looking into getting a permanent air-stone to add to the tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just coming across this thread...

Didn't Jay already advise you not to post the same problem in multiple threads? You started a new one about pH and none of this other info was provided there, so none of us were able to understand the background. All you told us there was your test results for copper, nitrate, and phosphate, and that your pH is 7.7.

Edit: My point is, it's hard to help when all the information isn't there.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just coming across this thread...

Didn't Jay already advise you not to post the same problem in multiple threads? You started a new one about pH and none of this other info was provided there, so none of us were able to understand the background. All you told us there was your test results for copper, nitrate, and phosphate, and that your pH is 7.7.

Edit: My point is, it's hard to help when all the information isn't there.
I shall not do that anymore, sorry.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a permanent air-stone to add to the tank.
I dont think its the water quality since my parameters are not terrible, then again they are not fantastic, i feed everyday, i just recently added two new clownfish and my pajamas are still very active, could it he possible they are breathing heavy for no reason?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its the water quality since my parameters are not terrible, then again they are not fantastic, i feed everyday, i just recently added two new clownfish and my pajamas are still very active, could it he possible they are breathing heavy for no reason?
Not for no reason - it’s like blood pressure in people - it can be high or low, but there is always a reason, and if it goes too high or too low, it can be fatal.
Any fish breathing faster than about 150 gill beats per minute is having issues and above 200 is often fatal.
Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for no reason - it’s like blood pressure in people - it can be high or low, but there is always a reason, and if it goes too high or too low, it can be fatal.
Any fish breathing faster than about 150 gill beats per minute is having issues and above 200 is often fatal.
Jay
Just increased the aeration in my tank by putting the water pumps above the water more, so theres bubbles in the tank more, now the fish are no longer breathing heavy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back