Clownfish turning black

  • Thread starter Thread starter MMreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
It looks like a Photon (Onyx percula x black & white ocellaris). They start off orange and white, then turn black as they mature. The biggest difference between an Onyx and a Photon is that Onyx have cleaner lines -- meaning the black and orange have a clean break. A Photon will have "dirtier" lines where the black transitions to orange oftentimes looking brown in between.

If all of the photos above are of juveniles that came from the same breeder, I'd guess that it's a mix of ocellaris, Photon, and possibly Gladiator/DaVinci (equivalent of a Picasso percula).
 
Strange thing is that I also have a ocilaris clown that seems to be turning black. At first I thought it was brook but he lived for 2 weeks in my care :I adopted him from a local reefer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new