0   0   0
How old are the fish? White light pics?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that fish is egg bound. That is very common and the fish develops eggs and can't release them. It doesn't usually turn out well for the fish unless she can lose or lay the eggs.
There are a couple of ways that "sometimes" work, but I don't think you will do that.
Healthy clownfish can spawn every week and a half or so.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that fish is egg bound. That is very common and the fish develops eggs and can't release them. It doesn't usually turn out well for the fish unless she can lose or lay the eggs.
There are a couple of ways that "sometimes" work, but I don't think you will do that.
Healthy clownfish can spawn every week and a half or so.

What can I do

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest thing is to get the fish in a net and gently squeeze it to release the eggs. Of course you don't want to squash the fish to death. The other thing you wouldn't want to do.
Remember, I can't see that fish from here so I could be wrong.

But the fish is also breathing hard so it probably has gill parasites. If it does, and if it is egg bound, the eggs already started to rot and there wouldn't be much you can do to cure her.

So if the gentle squeezing doesn't produce any eggs, Just leave her alone and hope for the best.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest thing is to get the fish in a net and gently squeeze it to release the eggs. Of course you don't want to squash the fish to death. The other thing you wouldn't want to do.
Remember, I can't see that fish from here so I could be wrong.

But the fish is also breathing hard so it probably has gill parasites. If it does, and if it is egg bound, the eggs already started to rot and there wouldn't be much you can do to cure her.

So if the gentle squeezing doesn't produce any eggs, Just leave her alone and hope for the best.
Should I put her in meds along with the rest of the fish?
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet
The tomini tang with them has had flukes a couple months ago but I treated him and no signs till now...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't get bloated when they get parasites. I myself wouldn't use medication as I wouldn't even know what kind of medication to use so I would be guessing.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't get bloated when they get parasites. I myself wouldn't use medication as I wouldn't even know what kind of medication to use so I would be guessing.
I recall someone saying they fed medicated food and mixed epsom to move flukes bc of constipation. What would cause the stomach to bloat if not the flukes? The meds? It’s the reason I ended up treating for flukes myself. My clowns stomach looked full no matter what time of day.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about flukes you could fresh water dip her for 2 or 3 minutes. Thats all the medication she could use. There is no medication for egg bloat (if thats what she has and I think so) but people feel they need to medicate no matter what.
Most times medication makes things worse.
Remember we can't cure everything and being the fish isn't eating, I feel she is not sick, just egg bloated which is not a disease but a condition of being a fish.

If you feed a fish correctly, they will never get constipated. I have not seen that in my tank is many decades.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fat belly, breathing heavily

what is it?
Other fish all fine
Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg
The rapid breathing is a sign of systemic disease, and egg binding only becomes systemic if the unlaid eggs become infected with bacteria. More likely, the bloating that you are seeing is from fluid buildup called ascites. Tough to see, but the bloating is more anterior than it would be if it were eggs in the ovaries. This ascites typically results from liver failure. Sorry, there is no treatment if that is the case. Luckily, it is also not contagious.
Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily tell after the fish dies (If she dies) by just making a little slit and look inside.
(I am still going with eggs) :)

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid breathing is a sign of systemic disease, and egg binding only becomes systemic if the unlaid eggs become infected with bacteria. More likely, the bloating that you are seeing is from fluid buildup called ascites. Tough to see, but the bloating is more anterior than it would be if it were eggs in the ovaries. This ascites typically results from liver failure. Sorry, there is no treatment if that is the case. Luckily, it is also not contagious.
Jay
What would cause liver failure?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back