Clownfish with ich? Is this ich ?

ale.a712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 15 gallon saltwater tank and I’ve had it for about 2 months now. I have 2 clowns in there, of being a midnight clownfish. My panoramas are normal, nothing unusual. However as of today it started getting white spots ? It’s very confusing. The other clown has no sign of this. I also have a goby and it also has no usual spots like this one. Online it says it’s ich and I’m getting worried. Is this ich? How do I treat ich?

IMG_8203.jpeg IMG_8200.jpeg IMG_8207.jpeg IMG_8206.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's see if we can get some help for your fish...

#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I have a 15 gallon saltwater tank and I’ve had it for about 2 months now. I have 2 clowns in there, of being a midnight clownfish. My panoramas are normal, nothing unusual. However as of today it started getting white spots ? It’s very confusing. The other clown has no sign of this. I also have a goby and it also has no usual spots like this one. Online it says it’s ich and I’m getting worried. Is this ich? How do I treat ich?

IMG_8203.jpeg IMG_8200.jpeg IMG_8207.jpeg IMG_8206.jpeg
Based on size and location of dots, does appear to be ich and skin irritation mixed in with ich. This may be treatable with general cure but I recommend using either Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
A

ale.a712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on size and location of dots, does appear to be ich and skin irritation mixed in with ich. This may be treatable with general cure but I recommend using either Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Can I keep corals in the tank or do the corals have to also leave the tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Generally speaking it's best to treat in a hospital tank - without the corals. Additionally, the other fish will need treatment as well. A copper based treatment would IMHO be best - but you cannot do this in your main tank with corals, etc. Unfortunately - I'm only in and out of the site periodically for a couple weeks - I'm sure @Jay Hemdal or @vetteguy53081 will follow up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Treat fish in a separate hospital/quarantine tank. No corals or inverts with copper

OP
OP
A

ale.a712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat fish in a separate hospital/quarantine tank. No corals or inverts with copper
Can the corals also get the parasite? As in like, do I need to treat both the fish and coral ? I would move them to my other tank, but I’m afraid that they’ll move the parasite to that tank too.

OP
OP
A

ale.a712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question, I am reading online that the fish need to be quarantined, which I knew already from reading this thread, however I am worried about my corals and inverts. I read that the tank needs to be quarantined for 90 days to kill the parasite, however, does this parasite go on corals, snails or urchins? Because I am okay with quarantining everybody for this time period, but does keeping my inverts in the tank allow the parasite to keep living? I don’t know if my question is understandable. My point is , to cure my tank, the tank itself, does it need to be emptied from inverts and fish ? Or just the fish? Can I cure my tank with my inverts in it or do they need to leave ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have another question, I am reading online that the fish need to be quarantined, which I knew already from reading this thread, however I am worried about my corals and inverts. I read that the tank needs to be quarantined for 90 days to kill the parasite, however, does this parasite go on corals, snails or urchins? Because I am okay with quarantining everybody for this time period, but does keeping my inverts in the tank allow the parasite to keep living? I don’t know if my question is understandable. My point is , to cure my tank, the tank itself, does it need to be emptied from inverts and fish ? Or just the fish? Can I cure my tank with my inverts in it or do they need to leave ?
Its 45-60 days and again, best done in a separate tank. Leave corals and snails in display tank. Parasites will die off without a host fish in the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back