Adding fish after ich outbreak

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you live in Canada, you have to do things differently. It’s because we’re taking short cuts; we have no access to meds.
Im aware of Canada situation and its S*cks. Im making statement in general. A couple of years ago many/most followed protocol and suddenly we have an abundance in the US with access to meds looking for quicker/ less effective methods

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich management is at times a gamble and often used as a short cut. First importance is to identify the given disease and then consider what fish are affected as some tolerate hypo and other methods while some fish do not. Adding garlic is not a cure but serves as an immunity booster
It’s very easy to play Monday morning quarterback for most.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have viral reducing the salt levels is not an option.
If you have coral reducing the salt level is not an option. And it’s amost impossible to figure-out where the problem came from, it can be anything from the maintenance guy sticking his hands in the tank, to feeding the wrong food from a a sneeze to blowing a fart next to the tank. Who knows..

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you have Amazon I’m Canada ?
It has nothing to do with that. The law forbids the sale of pet medications, except by vets. And there are practically no marine vets and if you’re lucky enough to find one in your own province, they won’t do teleconsultation.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was ich and not velvet? If it was ich make sure your tank is in pristine health, practice good husbandry, keep up with water changes, test regularly and ensure everything is humming along stable.

When your tank is healthy you'll know when it's time to add livestock again.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was ich and not velvet? If it was ich make sure your tank is in pristine health, practice good husbandry, keep up with water changes, test regularly and ensure everything is humming along stable.

When your tank is healthy you'll know when it's time to add livestock again.
Would you do anything differently if it were velvet?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do anything differently if it were velvet?

If it were velvet I'd go fallow and treat the fish in a qt tank, but if ich Id rather just deal with it with good husbandry.

I get minor ich showing up from time to time. No big deal. Not a popular opinion around here, but hey.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that I can’t catch the remaining fish.
Unfortunately the real problem is you are brand new to reefing, your tank was a month old and you had already over loaded it with fish creating an unhealthy stressful environment which lowered your fish immune systems allowing disease to take hold. Now you appear to be looking for people to say go for it again and start dumping fish in thus repeating the problem again. You need to take a step back and research the hobby. Improve your knowledge of the hobby. Give you tank multiple months and then add one or two small fish. Wait a month and assess again, etc...we have a moral duty to provide the best environment possible for our fish.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the real problem is you are brand new to reefing, your tank was a month old and you had already over loaded it with fish creating an unhealthy stressful environment which lowered your fish immune systems allowing disease to take hold. Now you appear to be looking for people to say go for it again and start dumping fish in thus repeating the problem again. You need to take a step back and research the hobby. Improve your knowledge of the hobby. Give you tank multiple months and then add one or two small fish. Wait a month and assess again, etc...we have a moral duty to provide the best environment possible for our fish.
I partially agree with you and that’s the reason I’m asking questions on this site. I’m not looking for anyone’s approval, since it’s not required for me to get an approval from anyone (yet) in order to buy fish and put them in my tank. I know that this isn’t a one fits all, so that’s why I’m looking for various opinions so that I can analyze them. I’m also aware that this isn't just a hobby, and that it can be a life and death experience for the fish.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I partially agree with you and that’s the reason I’m asking questions on this site. I’m not looking for anyone’s approval, since it’s not required for me to get an approval from anyone (yet) in order to buy fish and put them in my tank. I know that this isn’t a one fits all, so that’s why I’m looking for various opinions so that I can analyze them. I’m also aware that this isn't just a hobby, and that it can be a life and death experience for the fish.
Then take your time. There is multiple other things you can work on with your tank to better prepare it for the appropriate time to add fish again. Work on developing your biome with biodiversity and microfauna. You have a good medium size tank to work with. Get a few pieces of real live wet ocean rock and Jumpstart your biome to help you manage the ugly phases which will happen throughout the first year. Get some easy starter corals. Start building a diverse cleaner crew. Learn about the fish you want to add eventually to your tank so you have no compatibility issues. Focus on weekly water changes and husbandry. Your parameters will be unstable for multiple months so it is essential to test weekly and focus on keeping them in proper ranges.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then take your time. There is multiple other things you can work on with your tank to better prepare it for the appropriate time to add fish again. Work on developing your biome with biodiversity and microfauna. You have a good medium size tank to work with. Get a few pieces of real live wet ocean rock and Jumpstart your biome to help you manage the ugly phases which will happen throughout the first year. Get some easy starter corals. Start building a diverse cleaner crew. Focus on weekly water changes and husbandry. Your parameters will be unstable for multiple months so it is essential to test weekly and focus on keeping them in proper ranges.
I agree Lavey, thank you for the advice. It sounds like a good plan.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 sense, but you may not like what I say…

If your tank is quite new, I would 100% rehome the fish, and the rock, tear it down, thorough clean, and start from scratch, and taking your time. Ich management IMO is for those who have established tanks, with lots of coral that they don’t want to lose. But from what I understand this is not the case with you. Which is great. Start over, do all the right things, and you won’t have to live in fear for the entire time your tank is up that ich could wipe out every fish you ever own.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 sense, but you may not like what I say…

If your tank is quite new, I would 100% rehome the fish, and the rock, tear it down, thorough clean, and start from scratch, and taking your time. Ich management IMO is for those who have established tanks, with lots of coral that they don’t want to lose. But from what I understand this is not the case with you. Which is great. Start over, do all the right things, and you won’t have to live in fear for the entire time your tank is up that ich could wipe out every fish you ever own.
Thanks Ziggy17 , no offense taken. I like to hear different point of views. It wouldn’t be practical to tear the tank down, since it’s a professionally installed larger 140 gallon tank, with about 150 pounds of rock and some coral. I rather just keep the fish in there and just wait a few months to see what happens. After that time frame I can decide if I want to add a fish or two.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate that. Would the person(s) that installed the tank help with the rock so it stays cured, Then run it fallow? I only mention this again as if you plan on staying in the hobby, it’s worth starting from scratch.
Here’s a scenario; you go the ich management route, it works for you and you go a few years without another outbreak. During that time, you buy some really nice fish that cost thousands, and they become your pets. Awesome personalities, and living their best life. Then a grenade goes off again in your tank, and you lose everything. An event like that is enough to drive a lot of hobbyists to walk away.

Now I’m not saying that scenario will happen, but I’m suggesting that the likelihood of it happening is actually much better than it not happening. So the odds simply are not in your favour.

Apologies if I’m pressing my opinion on you, I just 100% think you will love the hobby more if you can figure out a way to fallow your tank for a few months and go from there.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with this, but there are fish traps (possibly) that could be used to get the hard to get guys.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate that. Would the person(s) that installed the tank help with the rock so it stays cured, Then run it fallow? I only mention this again as if you plan on staying in the hobby, it’s worth starting from scratch.
Here’s a scenario; you go the ich management route, it works for you and you go a few years without another outbreak. During that time, you buy some really nice fish that cost thousands, and they become your pets. Awesome personalities, and living their best life. Then a grenade goes off again in your tank, and you lose everything. An event like that is enough to drive a lot of hobbyists to walk away.

Now I’m not saying that scenario will happen, but I’m suggesting that the likelihood of it happening is actually much better than it not happening. So the odds simply are not in your favour.

Apologies if I’m pressing my opinion on you, I just 100% think you will love the hobby more if you can figure out a way to fallow your tank for a few months and go from there.
Yes Sir, thanks .. I never thought of it that way. Lol. I will take the fish-out then and wait 3 months prior to adding any new fish.

PS, if I can go a few years without another outbreak I would be a happy camper. Keep in mind that a grenade can good go off at any given time with this hobby. So I’m prepared for that.

Last edited:

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Sir, thanks .. I never thought of it that way. Lol. I will take the fish-out then and wait 3 months prior to adding any new fish.

PS, if I can go a few years without another outbreak I would be a happy camper. Keep in mind that a grenade can good go off at any given time with this hobby. So I’m prepared for that.
Very true. Every tank is a ticking time bomb haha. I had a bout with Dynos that lasted a few months. Wasn’t fun but also could have been way worse….

Happy reef keeping my friend!

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, many challenges, lots of time & effort is required for this hobby and many heartbreaks as well - but it also gives us many precious moments & it helps take away plenty of stress from other stuff!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back