OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to double check here while waiting for the other info, your Nitrate is 0, and your Phosphate is 3? Is that supposed to be 0.03 or 0.3 instead of 3?
I agree with you I speak for the seas. It doesn’t make much sense. I just did my own nitrate test and this of what I came up with and also a salt test since I just purchased a few cleaner shrimp & crabs yesterday. The numbers are off. Unfortunately, I don’t have a phosphate test kit currently.. any suggestions ?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• F5491906-6885-4423-9DD1-DF4F3E9A853C.jpeg
    F5491906-6885-4423-9DD1-DF4F3E9A853C.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 72F481BD-6696-475E-B62F-8B0EFC005718.jpeg
    72F481BD-6696-475E-B62F-8B0EFC005718.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 50

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you I speak for the seas. It doesn’t make much sense. I just did my own nitrate test and this of what I came up with and also a salt test since I just purchased a few cleaner shrimp & crabs yesterday. The numbers are off. Unfortunately, I don’t have a phosphate test kit currently.. any suggestions ?

Thanks for your help
For most tests (including Phosphate), the ones I see recommended the most are Salifert, Red Sea, and Hanna. I know most people really like their Hanna checker for Phosphate; I've heard of a lot of people liking the Salifert test for it too; so those would probably be my suggestions for Phosphate.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most tests (including Phosphate), the ones I see recommended the most are Salifert, Red Sea, and Hanna. I know most people really like their Hanna checker for Phosphate; I've heard of a lot of people liking the Salifert test for it too; so those would probably be my suggestions for Phosphate.
I seem to like the Hanna products, so I will get one ordered from them. Do you have any advice or feedback on what to do in the meantime? I’m planning on having the maintenance people do a large water change on Wednesday. It’s the first one since 12/22nd, I have done a couple of 10 gallon ones. Currently I have an ich infestation & my fish are dying

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your help
It looks like you have a freshwater nitrate test... Need to invest in at least the saltwater version.
Rather than spend extra on a few Hanna tests, consider buying ALL the test kits you need to maintain a healthy reef tank - as mentioned, Salifert is a good brand.
* I have nothing against Hannas if you have the $, but you've got a lot going on with your tank right now and don't seem to have the basic tools to monitor it...

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a freshwater nitrate test... Need to invest in at least the saltwater version.
Rather than spend extra on a few Hanna tests, consider buying ALL the test kits you need to maintain a healthy reef tank - as mentioned, Salifert is a good brand.
* I have nothing against Hannas if you have the $, but you've got a lot going on with your tank right now and don't seem to have the basic tools to monitor it...
Eeyorels, i agree, I’m new to this and the LFS is high end. Also, they seem to have some knowledgeable folks working there, but I’m really starting to question how knowledgeable they really are.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was treated (properly) for ich, then breaks out with ich in the future, there was a failure of biosecurity - the ich could have been introduced by another fish, by an invert, by a coral, by macroalgae, even by something like a contaminated culture of phyto or pods.

In order to ensure the ich doesn't pop up, everything wet/live needs QT'd.
How would you quarantine phyto or pods?

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was treated (properly) for ich, then breaks out with ich in the future, there was a failure of biosecurity - the ich could have been introduced by another fish, by an invert, by a coral, by macroalgae, even by something like a contaminated culture of phyto or pods.

In order to ensure the ich doesn't pop up, everything wet/live needs QT'd.
How would you quarantine phyto or pods?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good sized tank. In my experience disease usually rears its ugly head when there is aggression and stress. Compare it to yourself, when you are overworked and overtire, stressed, you are much more likely to get sick. Same with fish.

Often times the aggression happens when you are not looking. Sneak up on your tank and observe what is going on. A stocking list would help to potentially identify species that don't get along.

I like the Hannah checkers. I used API for almost a year. API is reasonable, but introduce subjective variables and testing errors.

Lots of good insight in this thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back