Clownfish with parasites

KeepAFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I have a new tank, 125 g, and added two clownfish after cycling on 2/11. The clownfish ate well for a couple weeks, was very active, and bonded, but now the female won't eat. At first she started eating less and we noticed she had white stringy poop. Now she won't eat anything, is less active, and her poop is small and clear. We also noticed tonight she is very skinny.

How can we diagnose and treat her. She is seizing and scratching against the rock occasionally.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey,

I have a new tank, 125 g, and added two clownfish after cycling on 2/11. The clownfish ate well for a couple weeks, was very active, and bonded, but now the female won't eat. At first she started eating less and we noticed she had white stringy poop. Now she won't eat anything, is less active, and her poop is small and clear. We also noticed tonight she is very skinny.

How can we diagnose and treat her. She is seizing and scratching against the rock occasionally.
Generally its a toss up of fats or internal issue and this one with noted weight loss maybe internal. A couple of pics and even a video will be helpful with assessment

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally its a toss up of fats or internal issue and this one with noted weight loss maybe internal. A couple of pics and even a video will be helpful with assessment
They are less active at night. The female with less orange on her face is the one that is having the issues.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are less active at night. The female with less orange on her face is the one that is having the issues.
It appears this fish is being intimidated by the other who may be the female. I dont believe there is an internal issue and by chance is the other stealing food when fed?
If youre not sure, you can set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
If treatment necessary, you can treat with Ruby Rally pro and add Seachem Metroplex to foods- If it eats but the metroplex requires a Tiny amount (that will fit on a pencil tip)

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears this fish is being intimidated by the other who may be the female. I dont believe there is an internal issue and by chance is the other stealing food when fed?
If youre not sure, you can set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
If treatment necessary, you can treat with Ruby Rally pro and add Seachem Metroplex to foods- If it eats but the metroplex requires a Tiny amount (that will fit on a pencil tip)
Thank you so much! I thought they were courting, but it seems you are right and the smaller one was harassing the larger clown. We added a tonga branch to their area to break them up for a little while and she ate a little. We also added some stress coat and bought some new flake food. She is eating very well now!!!

In addition, the stringy poop she has been struggling with is completely gone.

Thank you again!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you so much! I thought they were courting, but it seems you are right and the smaller one was harassing the larger clown. We added a tonga branch to their area to break them up for a little while and she ate a little. We also added some stress coat and bought some new flake food. She is eating very well now!!!

In addition, the stringy poop she has been struggling with is completely gone.

Thank you again!
Great to hear

Back