OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change the water right before the third dose.
Are you seeing ammonia issues? If so, that may require earlier/more water changes.
Jay
Today will conclude the 3rd dose of kanaplex. I will do a near 100% water change and reasses what to do next.

Can you tell me the difference between general cure and prazi?

I have general cure on hand, not prazi.

Can I do general cure and copper at the same time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today will conclude the 3rd dose of kanaplex. I will do a near 100% water change and reasses what to do next.

Can you tell me the difference between general cure and prazi?

I have general cure on hand, not prazi.

Can I do general cure and copper at the same time?

General Cure is praziquantel mixed with metronidazole. The metronidazole overlaps with the copper in terms of what it treats (and copper works much better). My only concern is that dosing prazi, metro and copper at the same time increases the stress to the fish, more than just one or two of the drugs in conjunction would. People do this though and I haven't heard of any truly serious issues.

Jay

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Cure is praziquantel mixed with metronidazole. The metronidazole overlaps with the copper in terms of what it treats (and copper works much better). My only concern is that dosing prazi, metro and copper at the same time increases the stress to the fish, more than just one or two of the drugs in conjunction would. People do this though and I haven't heard of any truly serious issues.

Jay
Okay...

The red spots have not gone away on the clownfish as we approach the end of the 3rd dose of kanaplex.

Still swimming and eating fine, no abnormal behavior.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...

The red spots have not gone away on the clownfish as we approach the end of the 3rd dose of kanaplex.

Still swimming and eating fine, no abnormal behavior.
As I said, this issue is a mystery to me, and I’ve not heard of anyone else having a firm lead on a cause, just lots of guessing. In some/most cases I’ve seen here, the issue doesn’t lead to any serious health problems. In other cases, people report that the fish dies, but whose to say why their fish died?
Jay

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, this issue is a mystery to me, and I’ve not heard of anyone else having a firm lead on a cause, just lots of guessing. In some/most cases I’ve seen here, the issue doesn’t lead to any serious health problems. In other cases, people report that the fish dies, but whose to say why their fish died?
Jay
Understood...

I just let the 48 hours pass after the 3rd dose of Kanaplex and did a 90% waterchange.

I will observe until morning then start the general cure treatment.

What would you say is the absolute minimum amount of time needed for a copper power treatment for it to be even worth doing?

I have a trip in early July where it would be too much of an ask for the fish sitter to maintain a copper treatment while I'm away.

-Sean

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood...

I just let the 48 hours pass after the 3rd dose of Kanaplex and did a 90% waterchange.

I will observe until morning then start the general cure treatment.

What would you say is the absolute minimum amount of time needed for a copper power treatment for it to be even worth doing?

I have a trip in early July where it would be too much of an ask for the fish sitter to maintain a copper treatment while I'm away.

-Sean
Copper Power really needs to be run for 30 days - it is pretty mild, to both fish and parasites. Some people skate by with 14 days, especially when they pull the fish while it is still in copper, but who is to say if those fish were harboring protozoans or not?

Jay

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours into the first dose of API General Cure and all the red blotches are almost completely gone. I'd say 2 of the 3 are completely gone, and the big one is 90% smaller and lighter.

Hard to say if the red blotches are responding very well to the a general cure, or if it's a delayed response to the Kanaplex regimen... Or some mixture of the two.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finished the general cure regiment and had to make a call... The red blotches are completely gone on one side of his body, and the larger darker one on other side is very faint. Since I don't have time to do a full copper treatment before my trip I decided to put them in the display tank. Wish me luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back