Clownfish with white marks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not ich. Freshwater dip is for temporary relief and not always the answer as it can also cause stress in many cases.
I believe this is a ciliated protozoan which at times are pre-stage of Brooklynella which is a parasite that often represents oodinum in both appearance and symptoms.
These protozoa reproduce asexually using simple binary fission through conjugation, which is why they can come and go and often mistaken for Crypto or oodinum.
I agree with @Jay Hemdal with trying copper or even malachite green rather than typical Formalin.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news guys: my black photon clownfish and orange chestnut snail passed away. I went to do my weekly water change and noticed the water was cold. I checked my thermometer and my tank was only at 70/72; it appears my heater shorted out in the middle of the night.
She clung to the surface of the water for a while then died. I checked my levels before doing the water change and they were fine. I think the drop in temperature also stressed her out which didn’t help. I feel so defeated and upset. She was doing so good and was even showing signs of bonding with the new clownfish.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling back and forth between the left side views, I think the four spots on the head have dropped off, and now there is a spot below the black stripe on the second dorsal. I'm just not able to (as much as I'd like to!) rule out ich here.

IMO - you should begin to prepare to dose with copper. Since you have invertebrates, you'll need a treatment tank, and that is a chore, especially today and tomorrow. The trouble is, your other fish have been exposed. Usually, that means they will become infected as well. I hope I'm wrong with my diagnosis, but I think you ought to at least prepare for the worst here....

Jay
Well the ich or whatever it was completely went away. He’s doing good thus far; he’s eating and interested in his new surrounding. Any advice on caring for a clownfish with deformities?

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news guys: my black photon clownfish and orange chestnut snail passed away. I went to do my weekly water change and noticed the water was cold. I checked my thermometer and my tank was only at 70/72; it appears my heater shorted out in the middle of the night.
She clung to the surface of the water for a while then died. I checked my levels before doing the water change and they were fine. I think the drop in temperature also stressed her out which didn’t help. I feel so defeated and upset. She was doing so good and was even showing signs of bonding with the new clownfish.

Super sorry to hear that. :( Highly recommend Hydor heaters, also I would get two one as a back up.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned many clowns in the past. This appears to be ich.

Also, awesome job for taking him home, many would pass him up. Call him Nemo!

If this indeed ich, watch your other fish close too!
Believe me, I have been. My other fish is 100% fine. A bit ticked at me atm lol But fine. She does not like it when I put the water siphon in the tank lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Believe me, I have been. My other fish is 100% fine. A bit ticked at me atm lol But fine. She does not like it when I put the water siphon in the tank lol
Deformaties never reverse. Like we deal with down syndrome children, the clown will survive the same manner

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather a siphon than your hand;)

Years ago I had to give away Clowns because they were to aggressive to me. They literally bullied me.
Jokes on them....

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
clown bite.png

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not, mine "Star' knows it's feed times and gets ready lol. I swear it can see the bag.

She also seems to have moods, she likes to host Green hair algae and gets upset if I remove it.

Has this little shelf that she'll perch on only after algae removal and never otherwise.

It sleeps on its side in a hollow dug in the sand near a rock. Like I legit though she was dead. I'm worried if I add a new cuc they will ambush her at night.

Clownfish are def strange.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not, mine "Star' knows it's feed times and gets ready lol. I swear it can see the bag.

She also seems to have moods, she likes to host Green hair algae and gets upset if I remove it.

Has this little shelf that she'll perch on only after algae removal and never otherwise.

It sleeps on its side in a hollow dug in the sand near a rock. Like I legit though she was dead. I'm worried if I add a new cuc they will ambush her at night.

Clownfish are def strange.

Sometimes I wonder who the real clowns are; them or us for giving into the constant demands of an overly dramatic fish? My money’s on us lol
Last night I opted not to give any of my fish dinner because they had a good breakfast and they’ve been staring me down ever since. I may not speak fish but I defiantly know when their curing me out lol

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I wonder who the real clowns are; them or us for giving into the constant demands of an overly dramatic fish? My money’s on us lol
Last night I opted not to give any of my fish dinner because they had a good breakfast and they’ve been staring me down ever since. I may not speak fish but I defiantly know when their curing me out lol
I hate that look fish give

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsels are the worst with that look. They get eye level with me and do that shaky/darting motion while trying to look closer at you. I call it the sass dance lol
My fish just follow me like a shark from side to side lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back