Clownfish

stonerpadre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this clownfish for almost 2 weeks so far and haven’t had any issues he eats normal. He’s in a qt tank atm and I noticed this from his gills is it normal ?

IMG_3357.jpeg IMG_3354.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - My assumption is that there is more likely disease causing this issue as compared to 0.25 ppm total ammonia (for a variety of reasons) - however, I agree with the rest that its important to verify any test. I would say that this level of ammonia would not be likely to cause this gill issue. I agree with a partial water change - if you want to do it - however, addition of ammonia reducing bacteria would obviate this need. It would be helpful to know more about your tank - any other fish - any symptoms - the respiratory rate of your fish - did you QT, etc. (I know you said he is in a QT tank - but are you treating it) - a very pretty fish btw. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this clownfish for almost 2 weeks so far and haven’t had any issues he eats normal. He’s in a qt tank atm and I noticed this from his gills is it normal ?

IMG_3357.jpeg IMG_3354.jpeg

Eroded/damaged gill plates are pretty common in tank raised clownfish. First thing, are you positive it just developed, and wasn't there since you acquired it? If you are sure it just showed up, then a bacterial infection could be the cause.

Get the ammonia under control and see if this gets any larger.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stonerpadre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - My assumption is that there is more likely disease causing this issue as compared to 0.25 ppm total ammonia (for a variety of reasons) - however, I agree with the rest that its important to verify any test. I would say that this level of ammonia would not be likely to cause this gill issue. I agree with a partial water change - if you want to do it - however, addition of ammonia reducing bacteria would obviate this need. It would be helpful to know more about your tank - any other fish - any symptoms - the respiratory rate of your fish - did you QT, etc. (I know you said he is in a QT tank - but are you treating it) - a very pretty fish btw. Hope this helps.
Ok did the water change and I have another clownfish and a purple fire fish , it seems like the other clown has been bullying him as well , yea there in qt bt I wanted to see if they had any issues before medicating thank you
Eroded/damaged gill plates are pretty common in tank raised clownfish. First thing, are you positive it just developed, and wasn't there since you acquired it? If you are sure it just showed up, then a bacterial infection could be the cause.

Get the ammonia under control and see if this gets any larger.

Jay
Yea it just developed and if it is a bacterial what can I use to get it under control ?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok did the water change and I have another clownfish and a purple fire fish , it seems like the other clown has been bullying him as well , yea there in qt bt I wanted to see if they had any issues before medicating thank you

Yea it just developed and if it is a bacterial what can I use to get it under control ?
Seachem neoplex in quarantine or ruby rally pro

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back