Clownfish

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clownfish, had them since March. I added a couple of Damsels and a Lawnmower Blenny in October. I’ve had three Pajama Cardinalfish since last January.

i’ve got something going on with one of my Clowns but I can’t figure out what. I’ve noticed something going on on his left side for a few weeks but it is a little more pronounced now.

His behavior seems to be normal, eating well still. The female clown and all other fish are normal.

Any ideas?

910D20E1-1ED2-44BB-BB46-63F0936543F0.jpeg 4A541872-AED0-46F3-A193-A75EC16E7899.jpeg 11C85DCE-E403-415A-BFA3-2BE5EACC459D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
2 clownfish, had them since March. I added a couple of Damsels and a Lawnmower Blenny in October. I’ve had three Pajama Cardinalfish since last January.

i’ve got something going on with one of my Clowns but I can’t figure out what. I’ve noticed something going on on his left side for a few weeks but it is a little more pronounced now.

His behavior seems to be normal, eating well still. The female clown and all other fish are normal.

Any ideas?

910D20E1-1ED2-44BB-BB46-63F0936543F0.jpeg 4A541872-AED0-46F3-A193-A75EC16E7899.jpeg 11C85DCE-E403-415A-BFA3-2BE5EACC459D.jpeg
Looks like secondary bacterial following what looks like accelerated Brooklynella.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria.
Typical treatment for bacterial will be seachem Kanaplex in quarantine maintaining good water quality

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas?

Can you post a video? I’m not sure it is brooklynella given the fish’s history of having this for two weeks and still acting “normal” plus the other clown still looking good. Two weeks in, a fish with Brook should look really Ill or even be dead.
Jay

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video? I’m not sure it is brooklynella given the fish’s history of having this for two weeks and still acting “normal” plus the other clown still looking good. Two weeks in, a fish with Brook should look really Ill or even be dead.
Jay

This isn’t the greatest video. Clownfish do not like to hold still!

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not sure this is much better but did a slow motion video to try to get a better look.
And now I see it did not upload as slow motion.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not sure this is much better but did a slow motion video to try to get a better look.
And now I see it did not upload as slow motion.

I don’t see evidence of brooklynella here - possibly bacteria. The fish looks good otherwise, so the issue can’t be too serious (yet).
Any new LPS corals that could have stung it?
Do you have an isolation tank available?
Jay

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see evidence of brooklynella here - possibly bacteria. The fish looks good otherwise, so the issue can’t be too serious (yet).
Any new LPS corals that could have stung it?
Do you have an isolation tank available?
Jay
I do have an extra tank not set up and a 10 gallon coral qt with only a candy cane coral in that tank at the moment.
Also, i have a torch that has been in the display tank for about 3 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jay
Agree and Fixed my post. I started with bacterial and somehow babbled about brook

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was somewhat already convinced it wasn’t brook. If bacterial, I will do some research and try to take appropriate action. I will probably move the candy cane out of my coral qt and move the clown over to it if I need too. I probably won’t be adding corals to that tank for a while and it’s running and cycled so would be very easy to adjust over to temporary hospital tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jay
It looks like ATYPICAL lymphocystis or another viral-type infection to me. As above - more information would be helpful.

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was somewhat already convinced it wasn’t brook. If bacterial, I will do some research and try to take appropriate action. I will probably move the candy cane out of my coral qt and move the clown over to it if I need too. I probably won’t be adding corals to that tank for a while and it’s running and cycled so would be very easy to adjust over to temporary hospital tank.
Any update ?

OP
OP
Kraig

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update ?
He's still about the same. The whitish spots are kind of gone. Still very active, eating, no other behavior issues.

I ordered focus and kanaplex last week so I could treat him for any bacterial issues and still haven't received the shipment yet (couldn't find locally). As soon as that comes in, which should be today, I am going to treat accordingly in case there is a bacterial infection going on.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back