Clowns and Torches

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have noticed lately my black clown has hanging around my long torch coral lately and was just wondering if this is nornal?

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly, normal. Clowns naturally host in anemones but will look for similar objects sometimes.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen clowns host torchs quite often. Keep an eye on the coral as the hosting behavior of the clown can possibly iritate it after awhile. I've had to move or remove them in the past when polyp extension was severely reducing over time.

OP
OP
TankLife86

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen clowns host torchs quite often. Keep an eye on the coral as the hosting behavior of the clown can possibly iritate it after awhile. I've had to move or remove them in the past when polyp extension was severely reducing over time.
Hes only been trying to host it the last 2days but I just thought it wasn't a normal behavior since he already has a host anemone. I'll start paying attention to the polyp extensions tho thanx!

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already stated they are known to take up residence in an "Anemone" substitute coral. For some reason, occasionally clowns will get "stung" by Euphyllia but it's assumed it causes no harm to he clown as they are mild stings and the clown keeps coming back. We had a pair taking up quarters in a FrogSpawn and we noticed small black "dots" appearing on one of them. They both stayed in the same coral but one appeared to be "stung" while the other showed no signs. They both lived a very long life and when I sold the tank the coral was HUGE and the clowns were old.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back