Clowns have white fluffy tissue around gill

megtrainer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting all,

Just got my tank setup with two clowns introduced about a month ago. Over time they have developed some tissue around mouth and gill. The female has some on the chin and male has some fluffy tissue on right chin.

They looked ok when they arrived however the female was a bit aggressive towards male when feeding. Initially we thought the tissue was a result of fighting and kind of hope they can resolve overtime.

However today just noticed on the left gill of the male have two white spots. They don’t look flat.

Any suggestions on what to do?

IMG_3399.jpeg IMG_3400.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3397 (2).MOV
    12.2 MB
  • IMG_3397 (1).MOV
    14.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Greeting all,

Just got my tank setup with two clowns introduced about a month ago. Over time they have developed some tissue around mouth and gill. The female has some on the chin and male has some fluffy tissue on right chin.

They looked ok when they arrived however the female was a bit aggressive towards male when feeding. Initially we thought the tissue was a result of fighting and kind of hope they can resolve overtime.

However today just noticed on the left gill of the male have two white spots. They don’t look flat.

Its hard to tell in the pics which are a little blue in lighting but may be mucus. You can Safely give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in tap water in a clean container the same temperature as display tank and see if this clears up.
Is fish eating and breathing normal ?

OP
OP
megtrainer

megtrainer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell in the pics which are a little blue in lighting but may be mucus. You can Safely give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in tap water in a clean container the same temperature as display tank and see if this clears up.
Is fish eating and breathing normal ?
Thank you. They both eat well and appears to be pretty calm and breathing normally and no other issues. I've also uploaded some video hopefully that shows more clearly. The "white ball" on his right gill and her chin have been there for over 3 weeks now. If it was mucus would that last this long?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. They both eat well and appears to be pretty calm and breathing normally and no other issues. I've also uploaded some video hopefully that shows more clearly. The "white ball" on his right gill and her chin have been there for over 3 weeks now. If it was mucus would that last this long?
They have heavy mucus and can
Pics are hard to depict but other would be secondary bacterial
You can safely add ruby rally pro to the tank and it would alleviate bacterial issues if any

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting all,

Given the length of time they have had these, the history of fighting and the lack of other symptoms, I would say this is Lymphocystis. That is a mild viral disease that can get inside the fish from injuries. The virus causes the fish's skin cells to grow to a giant size. Eventually, after 1 to 2 months, the fish is able to fight off the virus and these lesions will go away.

Jay

OP
OP
megtrainer

megtrainer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice guys. I will keep an eye on them for now and report back how they go in a few weeks.

Cheers
Joseph

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back