Clowns Stung by Hammer

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2020
Messages
1,295
Reaction score
1,601
Location
Chicago
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My MochaVinci clowns have recently started hosting in my hammers after beating their nem to the brink of death. They have little bruises all over now which I’m assuming is just stings. They’ve only been going in the hammers for maybe 2 weeks, with my male being the first to start hosting. He’s mostly black so I can’t tell if he’s getting stung but my female is still pretty orange. She has black spots all over her fins now.
The hammer does not seem to care at all & I have not seen it retracting a
I’m assuming this eventually goes away as they develop an immunity to the hammer’s stings. Just looking for some reassurance. Any thoughts welcome!

C14D0A7E-C5E2-4FB6-9E8F-EE8887BCEBAF.jpeg 5105E30B-A0A3-4732-ABFF-2ADD0685C0FF.jpeg 6C47B980-A8A0-4AF0-AAE1-DD13B2B78E67.jpeg 5D117057-2BCA-4F8F-9FC7-6F2769EDC9AE.jpeg
 
That's hypermelanization, related to getting stung. Most of the time the fish either adapts to the coral/anemone, or it gives up and looks for another host. The spots then usually go away.

https://humble.fish/hyper-melanization/
 
I had one that did that didn't seem to bother him but he eventually killed my hammer.
Yeah, I’m definitely keeping an eye on these guys. I like my hammers but I will move them to another system if my clowns start to bug them. They’ve been in this tank together for months and only just started to notice the hammers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new