Clumping sand

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for 4 and a bit months and the last week or so I’ve noticed small clumps in the sand. I have dinos in the tank that I’m keeping under control with manual removal but there are some bits in the sand. The KH in my tank has always been on the low side. Two weeks ago after advice from the LFS I did a 50 litre water change and added some atm colony and also started using my own water. My latest readings are:

464F233E-7F4C-4B9D-9BF9-B2AAAACD3926.png

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean?
Are you dosing anything ?

with lower magnesium levels I believe it’s possible for Alk and cal to precipitate out of solution .
the sand being calcium carbonate bind together.
Others will most likely be able to explain it better
@Randy Holmes-Farley ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank has been running for 4 and a bit months and the last week or so I’ve noticed small clumps in the sand. I have dinos in the tank that I’m keeping under control with manual removal but there are some bits in the sand. The KH in my tank has always been on the low side. Two weeks ago after advice from the LFS I did a 50 litre water change and added some atm colony and also started using my own water. My latest readings are:

Siphon a little more often and add a few nassarius snails and even a sand sifting starfish which will keep it loose.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything ?

with lower magnesium levels I believe it’s possible for Alk and cal to precipitate out of solution .
the sand being calcium carbonate bind together.
Others will most likely be able to explain it better
@Randy Holmes-Farley ?
Not at the moment, a couple of months ago my alk was down to 4.5 so I was buffering with baking soda but it wouldn’t stabilise so I stopped.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the moment, a couple of months ago my alk was down to 4.5 so I was buffering with baking soda but it wouldn’t stabilise so I stopped.
What salt are you using ?
If there is low magnesium you would have to dose Alk and cal slowly

even when dosing Alk drip as slow as possible to prevent precipitation ( chemical reaction )

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using ?
If there is low magnesium you would have to dose Alk and cal slowly

even when dosing Alk drip as slow as possible to prevent precipitation ( chemical reaction )
Before I was buying the water pre mixed from a certain lfs. When I visited another lfs to use their digital testing machine they hinted that the original lfs weren’t any good hence my problems. I’m using this now and have an rodi unit etc iQuatics Ocean Reef Pro Marine Saltwater Coral Premium Aquarium Salt Bucket - 10KG https://amzn.eu/d/afI3eOx

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that your LFS has mentioned the importance of 'The Big Three' (Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium). Along with the proper temperature and salinity, this makes up the most important core critical parameters for reef keeping (leaving Nitrate and Phosphate out of this, for now).

What are your recent test results for these parameters from your LFS digital testing machine?

Alkalinity =
Calcium =
Magnesium =

What are these parameters?

Salinity =
Temperature =

Once we have these results, we'll be better able to help you diagnose and correct your current issue as well as get you on the right track.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that your LFS has mentioned the importance of 'The Big Three' (Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium). Along with the proper temperature and salinity, this makes up the most important core critical parameters for reef keeping.

What are your recent test results for these parameters from your LFS digital testing machine?

Alkalinity =
Calcium =
Magnesium =

What are these parameters?

Salinity =
Temperature =

Once we have these results, we'll be better able to help you diagnose and correct your current issue as well as get you on the right track.
Salinity is 1.025 and temp is 25 degrees. Images below are of the machine test which was 8th September and my results from just now.

Attachments

• EE5A8095-AC97-465B-AF53-A9A92A8880AD.jpeg
    EE5A8095-AC97-465B-AF53-A9A92A8880AD.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 41
  • FE26B2C3-5CEF-4310-8E43-C34B935DCDA4.jpeg
    FE26B2C3-5CEF-4310-8E43-C34B935DCDA4.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 36

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, looks like your current reef tank parameters are quite acceptable. Some might suggest raising your PO4 slightly (0.05 ppm - 0.1 ppm) to combat dinos and many like a bit higher Mg (~1350 ppm).

There are different types of 'sand clumping' with different causes. Based on not having parameter issues and your description of 'small clumps in the sand', appears to me like the clumping is likely of a biological nature (biofilms creating exopolymeric films within the sand bed, either bacterial or algal). Are you carbon dosing by any chance (increases bacterial)?

As mentioned in Vetteguy53081's advice in his post above, regular manual siphoning and a few nassarius snails should help the situation. You can also stir the sand bed regularly to break up the clumping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, looks like your current reef tank parameters are quite acceptable. Some might suggest raising your PO4 slightly (0.05 ppm - 0.1 ppm) to combat dinos and many like a bit higher Mg (~1350 ppm).

There are different types of 'sand clumping' with different causes. Based on not having parameter issues and your description of 'small clumps in the sand', appears to me like the clumping is likely of a biological nature (biofilms creating exopolymeric films within the sand bed, either bacterial or algal). Are you carbon dosing by any chance (increases bacterial)?

As mentioned in Vetteguy53081's advice in his post above, regular manual siphoning and a few nassarius snails should help the situation. You can also stir the sand bed regularly to break up the clumping.
Yep I’m going to get some snails. I do a vacuum of the sand whenever I do the weekly water change. I noticed that when I stirred earlier some large bubbles escaped so I stopped in case that was bad. No I’m not dosing anything.

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, I won’t be able to help with the question, but could you please tell me what app this is that you are using? Also if the clumping is not due to any chemical reasons, try adding some nassarius snails. They should keep the sand bed nice and stirred. :)

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I won’t be able to help with the question, but could you please tell me what app this is that you are using? Also if the clumping is not due to any chemical reasons, try adding some nassarius snails. They should keep the sand bed nice and stirred. :)
It’s the Aquarium app. It’s a bit fiddly but it works once you get the hang of it. This is the icon for it.

Attachments

• 908C0DD8-92C1-472B-B02E-95AA5B6B1A69.png
    908C0DD8-92C1-472B-B02E-95AA5B6B1A69.png
    345.5 KB · Views: 23

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean?
Aragonite sand grains can become cemented together when calcium carbonate comes out of solution as tiny crystals. These tiny crystals stick to two or more sand grains forming a bridge. When many of these bridged sand grains form, free flowing sand becomes clumped, sometimes very hard clumps. Not enough magnesium or too much calcium or alkalinity will make this happen.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, if your alk was not stabilizing when dosing it, that could be becuase your mag is low.
Dose mag to get it to 1350 or higher then dose alk/cal to raise it. Should be better for you. Mag helps prevent calcification.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aragonite sand grains can become cemented together when calcium carbonate comes out of solution as tiny crystals. These tiny crystals stick to two or more sand grains forming a bridge. When many of these bridged sand grains form, free flowing sand becomes clumped, sometimes very hard clumps. Not enough magnesium or too much calcium or alkalinity will make this happen.
Must be the magnesium then I shall dose to get it up to 1350

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, if your alk was not stabilizing when dosing it, that could be becuase your mag is low.
Dose mag to get it to 1350 or higher then dose alk/cal to raise it. Should be better for you. Mag helps prevent calcification.
Thanks. I have some salifert magnesium and calcium supplements so will start with that.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have some salifert magnesium and calcium supplements so will start with that.
You have your test values .
dose magnesium slow to see if it increases .
when you get to 1350 which could take a few days .

start dosing Alk and cal slowly to increase their values .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back