CO2 issues.

salomon_gil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends. One more time I write to you seeking some help. My CO2 scrubber does not seem to help rise ph. I have a 20 gallon tank with the IM aqua gadget protein skimmer(designed for the tank) in which I installed 3 days ago a diy CO2 scrubber. It looks like my tank still has a high CO2 in it. Could it be that the skimmer is to small and is being outcompete by the surface of the tank when it comes to gas exchange? I already opened my window for 2 hours and still have not come to the ph desire. Please any advise would be highly appreciated

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open windows and a co2 scrubber should kick ph up in a matter of a few hours at 20 gallons. How are you measuring and what are the numbers?

OP
OP
salomon_gil

salomon_gil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open windows and a co2 scrubber should kick ph up in a matter of a few hours at 20 gallons. How are you measuring and what are the numbers?

I opened the window yesterday for 3 hours and it raised a little but not as desire. Am using the API test. Ph is at 8 and swings to the 7.8 at night and in the early morning.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ph is amazing.

Currently you only have things in the tank that create co2. The biomass.
That includes bacteria.

And only four things that take up co2.

It is weird that the scrubber is not doing more. It just may not be as efficient as a manufactured one.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look good. Just keep your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium at their proper levels and don't chase ph. NO3 at 0-5ppm and PO4 at trace and you will be good.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened the window yesterday for 3 hours and it raised a little but not as desire. Am using the API test. Ph is at 8 and swings to the 7.8 at night and in the early morning.
I'm in Michigan, and despite my skimmer plumbed outside my numbers are about where yours are, even this time of year when the furnace isn't running.

My weekly water change water for one tank is 15 gallons. I dose acid to bring the alk down to 7.0 to match my tank water, which temporarily kills the ph. A powerhead and an air stone in the trash can will bring the ph up to match the tank in about two hours. Maybe less. So with a co2 scrubber you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back