CO2 scrubber and Skimmer re-circulation issues

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had troubles getting my pH above 7.7-7.8. I added a CO2 scrubber with great results (now consistently 8.2-8.3). Honestly I thought it was a gimmick but now I believe. I have a single canister of CO2 media in parallel with an Exclusiv Royal Mini Bubble King 200. The air intake is from the top of the protein skimmer collection cup to the CO2 scrubber. The air output is from the CO2 scrubber to the protein skimmer air intake. Now I am having troubles tuning the protein skimmer. I'll get it adjusted for a thick skimate and the next day it is overflowing. Some days there will be nothing in the protein collection cup then the next day I have to empty it 2-3 times. During these swings I have not made any adjustments. It has to be due to the air flow/draw through the CO2 scrubber. Does anyone have any secret hand shakes to correct this issue. Thanks

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef lover, I had an old eshoops hob skimmer that I had nothing but problem with using a co2 scrubber. it would either overflow or not skim at all after a while. I tried everything I could think of. ended up getting a ro hob skimmer since putting a co2 scrubber ended up straining the pump on the skimmer. and knowing that I was just 4 months away from a tank upgrade and slowly gathering parts for the new setup. I broke down and got a ro hob skimmer. I don't know other some times u have to adjust it to find that sweet spot for the skimmer.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef lover, I had an old eshoops hob skimmer that I had nothing but problem with using a co2 scrubber. it would either overflow or not skim at all after a while. I tried everything I could think of. ended up getting a ro hob skimmer since putting a co2 scrubber ended up straining the pump on the skimmer. and knowing that I was just 4 months away from a tank upgrade and slowly gathering parts for the new setup. I broke down and got a ro hob skimmer. I don't know other some times u have to adjust it to find that sweet spot for the skimmer.
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but was it the Eshopps PSK-100H (or 75H)? I have one, and literally just ordered a CO2 scrubber. Now I’m worried haha

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it. I made several mistakes. First one. I bought the skimmer from ebay. Second you never know if it is good when buying from Ebay like sites. If I would of bought it from a lfs I think I would of had better luck.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it. I made several mistakes. First one. I bought the skimmer from ebay. Second you never know if it is good when buying from Ebay like sites. If I would of bought it from a lfs I think I would of had better luck.
Thanks! I have heard of this issue with this skimmer from others. I bought the Auto Aqua Smart Skimmer Security sensor to prevent this from happening.

I’m actually really curious, though: did it overflow with mostly foam, or did it fill the cup with watery skimmate first, and then overflow? If the former, I might be in trouble even with the sensor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back