CO2 Scrubber - any problem with this plan?

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update. I decided to try to start with an airline from skimmer to outside. Ran behind tank through wall down through floor through crawl space and out vent. About 12’ with a 1/2” line.

literally as soon as I connected the line I watched my PH climb. Looks like it’s starting to level out at 8.11. Not bad.

while it’s not 8.2 or 8.3 (yet) I feel a little better

ECE59E3E-0EBA-4F14-9390-B3B06B313AE6.png

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go for the recirculating option with a moisture trap. I’ve been running one for a month and a half, and the media is barely half used. WAY longer than if it was just pulling in dry air.
What is a moisture trap? My CO2 Scrubber works amazing with air from under cabinet. I tried the recirculating tube from skimmer lid but it seems too hard on pump and moisture gets sucked into reactor. I use foam to kind of block the water. But skimmate level is inconsistent and pH rarely hits 8.23. Without the recirculating, my pH goes over 8.3 daily. I actually bought a solenoid and connected to my neptune to turn on at 8.33 to bypass reactor. Problem is, without recirculating, I burn through a bag of media every week and a half.
I am now considering drilling a hole through my block wall to pull in outside air to the CO2 reactor to my skimmer. Thinking that can prolong the media cuz less CO2 to scrub out. I live in AZ so we never open windows. Would 120 degree air heat up tank? I have a challenge keeping the tank under 80 degrees as is with my AC on 72. Anyways wife looked at me like I was crazy wanting to drill a hole through wall. Maybe I will try a moisture trap instead.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a moisture trap? My CO2 Scrubber works amazing with air from under cabinet. I tried the recirculating tube from skimmer lid but it seems too hard on pump and moisture gets sucked into reactor. I use foam to kind of block the water. But skimmate level is inconsistent and pH rarely hits 8.23. Without the recirculating, my pH goes over 8.3 daily. I actually bought a solenoid and connected to my neptune to turn on at 8.33 to bypass reactor. Problem is, without recirculating, I burn through a bag of media every week and a half.
I am now considering drilling a hole through my block wall to pull in outside air to the CO2 reactor to my skimmer. Thinking that can prolong the media cuz less CO2 to scrub out. I live in AZ so we never open windows. Would 120 degree air heat up tank? I have a challenge keeping the tank under 80 degrees as is with my AC on 72. Anyways wife looked at me like I was crazy wanting to drill a hole through wall. Maybe I will try a moisture trap instead.
A moisture trap is just a vessel between the recirculating skimmer and the scrubber. I use a jar with two holes drilled in it. One hose in, one hose out. That way, if water makes its way into the hose, it gets caught in there. I barely ever empty it, but it’s definitely prevented water from directly hitting my soda lime.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I should’ve included that option.

I do live in a cold winter area (Idaho) yet it gets got and need AC in the summer.

I’ve seen some run the recirculating system. So maybe that’s the way to go. Any issues with keeping the scrubber and water trap 3-4’ away you think?
That'll work fine. I live in Wisconsin and run an airline outside and draw air all year long (even in the winter). It's about a 20' run and the skimmer draws air just fine. I've used a scrubber with a 6' run as well.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your post. Tough call trying to decide how to deal with low PH. Ive never used limewater or a scrubber before so Im new to this. Adding Kalk to ATO seems fairly easy to do but what about it sitting in an a ATO reservoir? Does it create a sludge in the bottom? I have a 16 gal. ATO tank with an ATK pump sitting on the bottom. Am I at risk of a pump failure or other problem with this method?

A dripper or Kalk stirrer reactor I guess is another option but then that seems more complicated and then thats another needed water line if I understand correctly...

And how does all of this effect my 2 part dosing?
Dosing kalk via the ATO is just not smart. Buy a perilistic dosing pump. Any pump that comes in contact with the limewater will have corrosion and stop working. Especially those cheap osmolator type ato pumps. Can get one like this from Amazon. 4 heads. 70 bucks have used for several months. Up to 24 doses per day.

Attachments

• 5F811C98-4E9E-41FC-A10B-F4C2029343B7.jpeg
    5F811C98-4E9E-41FC-A10B-F4C2029343B7.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 42F3851F-E3FD-4CA3-A5A1-BC7DF3016331.jpeg
    42F3851F-E3FD-4CA3-A5A1-BC7DF3016331.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 28

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you explain on your old post about this. I am running a dual reactor and nothing is happening. Second chamber is to collect moisture from recirculating. I changed media also and nothing is happening. No moisture on the inlet side of the reactor where CO2 media is

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can you explain on your old post about this. I am running a dual reactor and nothing is happening. Second chamber is to collect moisture from recirculating. I changed media also and nothing is happening. No moisture on the inlet side of the reactor where CO2 media is
It should run through the first reactor chamber to catch moisture, then through the media and back to the venturi of the skinmer? The moisture reactor chamber should be mounted lower than the media chamber?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should run through the first reactor chamber to catch moisture, then through the media and back to the venturi of the skinmer? The moisture reactor chamber should be mounted lower than the media chamber?
Air intake portion of the skimmer runs to first chamber where CO2 is then the cup runs to the other side.

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Air intake portion of the skimmer runs to first chamber where CO2 is then the cup runs to the other side.
I thought to recirculate the air, it draws air from the moisture cup through the first reactor to catch moisture, then through the second reactor with media then down to the Venturi?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought to recirculate the air, it draws air from the moisture cup through the first reactor to catch moisture, then through the second reactor with media then down to the Venturi?
No draws air from the intake port, then moisture from the cup collects in an empty chamber.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back