Co2 scrubber Jerri rig

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been really wanting to try out the co2 scrubber media. My oh has been running low 7.8 and now I’m maintaining no lower than 8.10.
I got the media holder a year ago as a free gift from BRS for spending way too much money. Decided to try this out. FYI I am going sing a bandaid and a dried out alcohol wipe to increase the resistance so the media is not completely bypassed.
6be318d7dc46e985d892361028f79d2e.jpg
c50f542b08bc0e9cd9855f67adf4755b.jpg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your water volume? Curious to see how this works out. I may do the same myself. Especially how long the media lasts.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 120 not still Sure how you have the recirculation set up. Can you post a picture.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only pic I have on my phone. It may be hard to see but my skimmer has a fitting g coming out the cup that I attached a hose going to the c02 scrubber.

IMG_20190102_215209.jpg

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really cool! We've been tossing around the idea of "recirculating" the CO2 air through the skimmer lid/intake to see if you can still maintain elevated pH while increasing the life of the media. Keep us updated!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the media to last 3 times longer if you can recirculate the air from the skimmer cup. At least it has in my tank.

This is really cool! We've been tossing around the idea of "recirculating" the CO2 air through the skimmer lid/intake to see if you can still maintain elevated pH while increasing the life of the media. Keep us updated!

I've had the same experience as Chad3407, with about a three-fold increase in life of the media. The air line is fed directly into the venturi inlet at the bottom of the skimmer.

9EVif09l.jpg

UFfEeIMl.jpg

I also added an AutoAqua Smart Skimmer device to prevent any potential overflows from being sucked into the media chamber. All you need is for it to happen once and have to clean that sucker out and you'll know why. . . :rolleyes:

aKHTPhSl.jpg

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been running mine like this for atleast 2 months. I easily get 3 weeks out of the media when before I was only getting 5-7 days before it was completely purple and pH would drop. The one down side I have encountered is all the extra moisture causes the reactor to fill up. I have installed longer lines with a drip loops in them and this let's the water build up in the tube first and I can just drain it out. My next plan is to get another reactor and run it either empty or with some filter floss to keep so much moisture out of the media side .

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine like this for atleast 2 months. I easily get 3 weeks out of the media when before I was only getting 5-7 days before it was completely purple and pH would drop. The one down side I have encountered is all the extra moisture causes the reactor to fill up. I have installed longer lines with a drip loops in them and this let's the water build up in the tube first and I can just drain it out. My next plan is to get another reactor and run it either empty or with some filter floss to keep so much moisture out of the media side .

I had the same problem which is why I ran the line directly vertical. After a few days there will be a bit of moisture bubbling at the elbow but with the line situated like it is it never travels up.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem which is why I ran the line directly vertical. After a few days there will be a bit of moisture bubbling at the elbow but with the line situated like it is it never travels up.
I'll have to give that a shot.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be close to 40 days on the media using the Jumbo Scrubber on a 120 gallon system running through the skimmer. Running through the skimmer helps level out the peak CO2 levels when normal ambient indoor CO2 levels would spike. The added moisture (humidity) and lower CO2 levels in the recirculated air does help in allowing the media to last longer. The amount of air you draw will obviously affect the media life and the resulting drop in CO2 levels. I have a nano in the same office without a scrubber and pH will average in the 7.85 range. Where the other tank running a scrubber pH will average in the 8.42 range.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw in a different thread a guy had his skimmer to reactor line entering a sealable container midway. I’ve been thinking about trying it but I’m not thrilled with drilling a hole into the collection cup and would definitely have to think about how to easily separate the skimmer/reactor if needed.

Ah it’s @JDowns thread I think

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back