CO2 scrubber massively reduces skimmer performance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefED!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefED!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2022
Messages
1,112
Reaction score
848
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is running very very dry now and I had to crank up the pump almost to max - having run it about 4/10 before

Is this normal to reduce your skimmer performance so much?

Here’s my scrubber setup

I don’t have a ton of excess line

I used a check valve because I had to reduce the silicone

IMG_1202.jpeg
 
I run recirculating on my co2 scrubber and notice no performance impact, however I'm not using a check valve. Try removing it and just use a barbed adapter to fit the two hoses together.
 
I will do that - have new tubing coming in today
 
I think the fact that your c02 scrubber also has a tube on the other end is probably restricting airflow even more.
 
I think the fact that your c02 scrubber also has a tube on the other end is probably restricting airflow even more.
That is the intake - I can shorten it but it’s basically just a free hanging tube to draw in ambient air
 
Why isnt your intake into the Cap? You want it to go into the cup. Or you dont want to run it Recirculating?

Try taking the check valve out....its probably choking it out.
 
Why isnt your intake into the Cap? You want it to go into the cup. Or you dont want to run it Recirculating?

Try taking the check valve out....it’s probably choking it out.
Can’t run recirculating without an emergency drain solution so I won’t be doing that yet
 
I could - I suppose it doesn’t really matter how the air is drawn in unless I’m trying to get it from an outside source
 
Cleaned the skimmer with citric acid for good measure and ditched the check valve and it’s working as I’d expect now - thanks!

Posting this here for the benefit of anyone who googles this later
 
My skimmer is running very very dry now and I had to crank up the pump almost to max - having run it about 4/10 before

Is this normal to reduce your skimmer performance so much?

Here’s my scrubber setup

I don’t have a ton of excess line

I used a check valve because I had to reduce the silicone

IMG_1202.jpeg
I just hooked up a CO2 scrubber and it greatly reduced the performance / rotation on my skimmer to the point where it looks like I just wasted my money on the scrubber b/c there is not enough airflow to the skimmer now through the 2 hoses. My config looks exactly like yours above
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new