CO2 scrubber media got wet

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CO2 scrubber media got wet, will that affect their performance or any other bad impact?

I accidentally dropped the intake tube of the scrubber into the sump yesterday and some water got sucked into the reactor. I then poured the water out. But I can still see some water among the media. Is that something to be worry about?

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry it out as best you can, air will not flow well though wet media. Be careful, any water that drains out of the media will be very corrosive, gloves are a good idea. Use care not to get it into your eyes or mouth.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following up. looks like getting it wet ruined the media, or disabled the color change function. The media was depleted after 10 days, while the color is still white. That's my first run, so not sure if that lifespan is normal or not. Replaced with a new refill, keeping it dry this time. Also I figured since I recirculate from skimmer cup, the input air should be at max humidity already, so it doesn't really need any water below the media. I skipped it this time.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I figured since I recirculate from skimmer cup, the input air should be at max humidity already, so it doesn't really need any water below the media. I skipped it this time.
Correct. It also makes the media last an extremely long time. Mine has been going for about 6 weeks, and is only half depleted (BRS CO2 media).

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you put some sort of reservoir between the output of the skimmer and intake of the scrubber to catch excess moisture. I used a large jar. Just punch two holes in the lid, stick the tubing into each one, and you're good to go.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It also makes the media last an extremely long time. Mine has been going for about 6 weeks, and is only half depleted (BRS CO2 media).

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you put some sort of reservoir between the output of the skimmer and intake of the scrubber to catch excess moisture. I used a large jar. Just punch two holes in the lid, stick the tubing into each one, and you're good to go.

ah, so the idea is to have excess moisture to condense out in the reservoir jar?

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20201217_000501607.jpg
Quick hook up of a small jar. Seeing how much condensation there is in the input hose, it will really help to keep the media keep clean.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20201217_000501607.jpg
Quick hook up of a small jar. Seeing how much condensation there is in the input hose, it will really help to keep the media keep clean.
That’s absolutely perfect. You just might want to shorten the hoses going into the jar so they don’t accidentally suck up water if you wait too long to empty it.

Otherwise, that’s perfect.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s absolutely perfect. You just might want to shorten the hoses going into the jar so they don’t accidentally suck up water if you wait too long to empty it.

Otherwise, that’s perfect.

The long one is air going in for that reason. The output is short and close to the top.

MoorishIdol814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me with excess moisture from the recirculation method. I didn't accidentally pull water from sump, just excess humidity effected the media. Have you noticed any air draw reduction from adding the jar?

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adding on to this... I'll experiment for you. Make sure that jar is lower than the media reactor. Ask me how I know

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back