CO2 scrubber plus skimmer vs. no scrubber or skimmer at all: what would lead to higher pH?

OP
OP
T

Tim617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the bricks become brittle and easily caked with detritus. I don't really recommend biomedia unless you have a packed tank with no sand and little rock. The only biomedia I use is seachem matrix because I've had some for a while and it's just cleaned pumice
Hmm. I have always used bio media. I know the bricks get brittle therefore my plan was to keep two of each type in a scattred schedule and change one every 2-3 months. I just wanted to see if I could get away with not even having the algae reactor then, and just go with the roller filter and biomedia.

OP
OP
T

Tim617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not make this personal. You keep saying the same thing over and over again and then asking if we are in agreement. It is exasperating. I don't agree because what you are saying is incorrect. You even misunderstood Randy's post. I pointed that out. You said nothing. If you want to not use a skimmer then just don't use it. Just know that the reasons that you are providing are incorrect.

The junk food analogy makes me just scratch my head. There is no concept or comparison to be had here. It's like all of the other things that you have said, and like them makes zero sense. I feel for the creatures you will one day try to keep.

I don't run a skimmer on my tank. My PH is low. If I put a skimmer on it the PH won't come up.

At this point my only conclusion is that you are a troll.

Good luck on your tank when you finally get it. Maybe actual emperical knowledge might help in your understanding.
Good luck to you as well.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing missing from the above posts regarding PH accumulation is the take up.of CO2 in the water. This occurs esp during tank lighting hours as the corals/algae consume it. After all isnt that the main reason PH rises when our lights are on.

I have a waterfall ATS running with reverse lighting with a couple of hours overlap in time to my lights. This helps with PH perhaps about 0.1 to 0.2.

I run a skimmer 24/7, no mechanical filtration, 2 Maxspect blocks an oxydator a little Rowa and a alk stirrer (stirer DIY currently on test). Works for me.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH first thing in the morning before lights go on. I will take another photo much later in the day when lights have been on sometime.

20220304_100141.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tim617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing missing from the above posts regarding PH accumulation is the take up.of CO2 in the water. This occurs esp during tank lighting hours as the corals/algae consume it. After all isnt that the main reason PH rises when our lights are on.

I have a waterfall ATS running with reverse lighting with a couple of hours overlap in time to my lights. This helps with PH perhaps about 0.1 to 0.2.

I run a skimmer 24/7, no mechanical filtration, 2 Maxspect blocks an oxydator a little Rowa and a alk stirrer (stirer DIY currently on test). Works for me.
Yes, but that's the fluctuation. If you can push the base up, then the fluctuation would occur around that base. It's like taking insulin for diabetics. Basal dose vs. bolus dose.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but that's the fluctuation. If you can push the base up, then the fluctuation would occur around that base. It's like taking insulin for diabetics. Basal dose vs. bolus dose.
The idea is to narrow the gap between the lowest PH and highest and reduce fluctuations. Seems we have to remove/reduce CO2/carbonic acid one way or another.

OP
OP
T

Tim617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to narrow the gap between the lowest PH and highest and reduce fluctuations. Seems we have to remove/reduce CO2/carbonic acid one way or another.
That's what I used to believe as well. But I saw a bunch of videos from BRS that shows that 8.3 pH and 10+ Alk actually leads to much higher coral growth, so I changed my mindset. It's absoutely possible to get 8.3 pH. So as I started to build my new setup I am structuring it around that. My old setup didn't focus on raising pH but instead was all about stabilizing it.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I used to believe as well. But I saw a bunch of videos from BRS that shows that 8.3 pH and 10+ Alk actually leads to much higher coral growth, so I changed my mindset. It's absoutely possible to get 8.3 pH. So as I started to build my new setup I am structuring it around that. My old setup didn't focus on raising pH but instead was all about stabilizing it.
Narrow the gap as in bring the base up to meet the high.

JonEB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents- I recirculate 50% of the skimmer air into the co2 scrubber

Last edited:
Back